*Savoy cabbage has a lovely crinkled skin. If you can’t find it, you can substitute conventional cabbage.
Ingredients For The Tomato Sauce
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
28 ounces (800g) chopped plum tomatoes
2 ounces (75g) tomato purée
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup (200ml) vegetable stock
Tomato Sauce Preparation
1. Sweat. In a pan, sweat onion and garlic with olive oil for 3-4 minutes. Do not allow them to brown.
2. Combine. Add the chopped tomato and tomato purée.
3. Add. Add vegetable stock and season with salt and pepper.
4. Cook. Cook over low heat for 7-8 minutes. Blend and serve.
Stuffed Cabbage Preparation
1. Blanch. Blanch the cabbage leaves in boiling salted water for 3 to 4 minutes and cool in ice water.
2. Sweat. In a pot, sweat the onion, mushroom and garlic with a little olive oil for 4 or 5 minutes, without turning brown.
3. Add. Pour in the stock, barley and thyme. Cover with a lid and slow cook till barley is tender, adding more stock if needed. When barley is cooked, add the cream and Parmesan cheese and cook out for 2 to 3 minutes. Season to taste.
4. Stuff. Line 4 small teacups, acting as molds, with plastic wrap. Line each cup with a drained cabbage leaf, leaving some of the cabbage leaf extending over the edge. Fill the cups with the cooked barley risotto and cover with the overhanging cabbage. Use the plastic wrap to remove the stuffed cabbage from the cup. Twist the plastic wrap around the cabbage/risotto to form a ball.
5. Serve. Add tomato sauce to the bottom of each dish; serve stuffed cabbage in the center. Serve while hot or reheat in the microwave.