Grilled Pineapple Recipes: Add Even More Flavor To Sweet Pineapple
Grilled pineapple has so many uses, from salsa, to salads (chicken, crab, green, shrimp) to skewers and the recipes below.
It’s a delicious with breakfast sausages or bacon, at lunch on a burger or sandwich, and as dessert at dinner.
One of our favorites: a pineapple ice cream sundae with a scoop of vanilla atop a grilled pineapple ring, caramel sauce, a bit of whipped cream or mascarpone, and some macadamia or pistachio nuts.
Thanks to Hello Fresh for the recipe.
You can use more than one of these.
1. LAY the pineapple horizontally on a cutting board, and use a sharp cook’s knife to remove the top by slicing about a quarter-inch below the base of the leaves.
2. STAND it upright and peel skin side by side, slicing down from the open top of the fruit. The sweetest parts are closest to the skin just behind the brown “eyes” you’ll find along the perimeter, so try to keep your slices clean to preserve all that flavor. Once peeled…
3. LAY the pineapple horizontally to chop off the base and cut fruit into rings by slicing straight down width-wise, thickness to taste. The fiber-rich core is edible, but lots of people remove it because it isn’t as flavorful or sweet. Use a small paring knife to cut it out of your rings, if you’d prefer.
4. OPTIONALLY MARINATE the pineapple. Place the rings in a big plastic bag a few hours before you plan to grill them, add a teaspoon of honey, tablespoons of melted butter, a dash of hot pepper sauce and a dash of salt. If you don’t want hot sauce, add a dash of cinnamon and a squeeze of lime juice.
5. SHAKE the bag to coat the rings evenly, and pop it in the fridge until ready to grill.
6. TURN the grill to medium heat. Use tongs to remove the rings from the bag and lay them on the grill, spreading so they don’t slip through the grate. Grill until char marks appear, about 2-3 minutes per side.
Start with a ham, turkey or other sandwich with a slice of grilled pineapple and honey mustard. A slice of grilled pineapple is also great on a burger. Then, move on to these: