THE NIBBLE BLOG: Products, Recipes & Trends In Specialty FoodsAlso visit our main website, TheNibble.com.
Make a delicious strawberry cream pie. Photo courtesy California Milk Advisory Board.
Today is National Strawberry Cream Pie Day.
A cream pie is a plain pastry or crumb pastry shell with a pudding or pudding-like filling.
Butterscotch, chocolate, frangipane and vanilla are most common, as are banana cream pie, coconut cream pie, strawberry or raspberry cream pie.
What’s the difference between cream pie and creme pie?
Just the spelling.
Creme is an Americanization of the French word for cream, crème (pronounced KREHM), most likely adapted in the U.S. to make the dish sound more special.
But why mispronounce another language’s word for cream? Unless it’s a French recipe, such as Coeur à la Crème, stick to “cream.”
And celebrate the day by making this delicious strawberry cream pie recipe, courtesy of the California Milk Advisory Board.
RECIPE: STRAWBERRY CREAM PIE
Ingredients For 8 Servings
For The Crust
1-1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2/3 cup melted butter
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup cornstarch
2 cups milk
4 egg yolks, beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (substitute almond extract, if desired)
3/4 cup sour cream
2 cups strawberries, washed and sliced
For The Filling
1. PREHEAT the oven to 350°F.
2. MIX the flour and powdered sugar together. Add the butter. Mix together and press the mixture into a 9-inch deep dish pie plate. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned then let cool.
3. COMBINE the sugar, salt and cornstarch in medium size saucepan. Slowly whisk in the milk until smooth. Cook over medium heat until thick, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute, then remove from the heat.
4. STIR a small amount of the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks. Pour it back into the pan and cook for 2 minutes more, without letting the mixture boil. Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla; fold in sour cream. Cover and cool to lukewarm.
5. LINE the pie shell with the sliced strawberries and pour the filling over the berries. Chill well before cutting into wedges. Makes 8 servings.
> See many more delicious recipes from the California Milk Advisory Board.
> Also check out this raspberry cream pie recipe (National Raspberry Cream Pie Day is August 1st).
Yummy strawberries are available almost everywhere. Photo courtesy California Strawberry Commission.
Comments are closed.
© Copyright 2005-2021 Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. All images are copyrighted to their respective owners.