VALENTINE RECIPE: Sweetie Pie Cherry Pie Pops | The Nibble Webzine Of Food Adventures - The Nibble Webzine Of Food AdventuresVALENTINE RECIPE: Sweetie Pie Cherry Pie Pops | The Nibble Webzine Of Food Adventures
Optional: “Sweetie Pie” tags or red or pink ribbons
Valentine pie pops. Photo courtesy Bella Baker.
1. PLACE flour, salt and sugar in the bowl of a food processor and combine. Add the butter and shortening and pulse until mixture resembles coarse peas or cornmeal. There will still be chunks of butter and that is fine.
2. SPRINKLE the water, one or two tablespoons at a time, over the mixture and pulse a couple of times in between each addition. Test the dough by pinching it: If it holds together it is ready. If not, add some additional water until the mixture begins to clump together.
3. REMOVE the dough from the food processor bowl and lightly knead it into two flat disks. Wrap each disk in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Dough can be made and refrigerated up to 3 days ahead of time.
4. REMOVE the chilled dough from the refrigerator. Sprinkle flour onto a clean work surface and, using a rolling pin, gently roll out, lifting the dough from underneath and sprinkling additional flour if the dough begins to stick slightly onto the work surface. Once the dough reaches 1/4 inch in thickness, use a 2- or 3-inch round biscuit cutter or a heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut shapes out of the pie dough.
You can use prepared pie filling if you don’t want to make your own. Photo courtesy Chukar Cherries, which makes our favorite cherry pie filling.
Cherry Filling Ingredients
5 to 6 cups fresh pitted cherries in season†
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1-2 teaspoons lemon zest
2/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. COMBINE all ingredients except for the vanilla extract in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and continue to simmer for about 15 minutes.
2. STIR in the vanilla extract, remove from heat and cool before using.
†Out of season, use frozen cherries or buy prepared cherry filling.
Ingredients For Egg Wash
1 large egg
1 tablespoon milk or cream
To Make The Pie Pops
1. PREHEAT oven to 450°F. Place half the dough circles or hearts onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Place a 6 inch lollipop stick on top of each circle, pressing gently so it sticks into the dough circle, going about half way up the circle.
2. ADD about a teaspoon of filling to each dough circle or heart and place another dough circle or heart on top. Use the tines of a fork to carefully crimp together the edges of the dough. It is important to make sure that your dough it securely closed around the entire circle so that your filling does not leak out.
3. MAKE egg wash: Beat egg and milk/cream until combined and brush on the top of each pie pop. Bake pie pops in oven for 10-12 minutes. The crust should look golden brown. Remove from oven and cool completely, then decorate with personalized tags, like the “Sweetie Pie” tags in the photo, or a pink or red ribbon.