Today’s tip looks at adapting popular recipes to other cultures.
As an example, we’re giving Tex-Mex nachos a Greek makeover—a fresh spin on a party classic that uses feta and naan or pita crisps instead of Cheddar or Jack cheese and tortilla chips.
It also adds some heartiness with ground lamb, as some Tex-Mex nachos add ground beef.
This recipe, from Chobani Greek Yogurt, makes 6 servings. Enjoy it with beer, wine or iced mint tea.
For The Yogurt Salsa
1. PREHEAT the oven to 400°F.
2. BROWN the ground lamb in olive oil over medium heat until fully cooked; then drain the oil.
3. RUB the naan bread with a small amount of olive oil, sprinkle with salt, cut into triangle wedges with pizza cutter, and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 5-10 minutes to the desired crispness.
5. COMBINE the yogurt, cucumber, onion, feta cheese, salt, and cumin in a food processor; process to the desired smoothness. Add more onion, cucumber, and/or feta cheese as desired.
6. ASSEMBLE the nachos by placing the triangle wedges of naan on a plate. Then top with the fresh spinach, then the ground lamb, yogurt salsa, olives, tomatoes and more feta cheese. Garnish with a sprinkle of Italian herb seasoning, as desired.
*Italian Seasoning Recipe: If you don’t have an Italian seasoning blend, you can combine 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, 1 teaspoon dried marjoram, 1 teaspoon dried thyme, 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary and 1/2 teaspoon dried sage. Keep in a tightly-closed jar. If you don’t have marjoram, use 2 teaspoons of oregano instead.
Comments are closed.