TIP OF THE DAY: Holiday Ice Cream & Recipe For Ice Cream Cake | The Nibble Webzine Of Food Adventures - The Nibble Webzine Of Food AdventuresTIP OF THE DAY: Holiday Ice Cream & Recipe For Ice Cream Cake | The Nibble Webzine Of Food Adventures
Look for limited-edition holiday ice cream flavors at your favorite market or scoop shop. Egg Nog, Ginger, Gingerbread and Peppermint/Candy Cane/Peppermint Bark are ice cream flavors that we could enjoy all year.
A scoop with or without chocolate sauce is a holiday treat. But you can go one step further and make an easy holiday ice cream cake.
Here’s a recipe for a Chocolate-Candy Cane Ice Cream Cake from Dreyer’s—which has limited edition 1.5-quart containers of Egg Nog, Peppermint and Hot Cocoa With Marshmallows.
The flavors are part of the Slow Churned Rich & Creamy line, which has half the fat and one-third fewer calories than regular ice cream. The Hot Cocoa With Marshmallows is especially fun: The miniature marshmallows are soft and airy and fun to bite into.
RECIPE FOR CHOCOLATE-CANDY CANE ICE CREAM CAKEThe recipe specifies boxed cake mix and premade frosting as time-savers, but you can substitute your own from-scratch recipes.
Peppermint candies or candy canes to crush as garnish
1. Bake two nine-inch layers according to the package directions and cool completely.
2. Remove cake from pans. Using a serrated knife, cut the rounded top off one of the cakes to make one flat, even layer. Wrap and freeze the second cake for later use.
3. Remove ice cream from the freezer and let sit for 5-10 minutes to soften. While it softens, wash one of the cake pans and dry completely. Line the pan with plastic wrap.
4. Carefully spread the ice cream in the pan using the entire container. Freeze for 1 hour or until very firm.
5. Remove the ice cream pan from freezer. Spread the chocolate frosting over the ice cream and place the trimmed cake on top of the frosting. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and freeze overnight.
6. To serve, take the cake out of the freezer and let sit for about 5 minutes. Unwrap cake and invert onto a serving plate. Remove plastic wrap from the ice cream. Sprinkle crumbled pieces of peppermint candies over top of cake. Cut into slices and serve.