This red-and-green “Christmas” grilled cheese recipe is delicious on any day of the year, but we especially like it during the holiday season.
This gourmet grilled cheese with AuntNellies.com is seasonally colorful comfort food with caramelized onions, gooey melted cheese, and toasted sourdough, accented with tangy red pickled beets and spicy green arugula.
National Grilled Cheese Day is April 12th.
For The Caramelized Onions
Editor’s note: These caramelized onions are so delicious that we make a triple batch to have extras to enjoy with every other meal, from breakfast eggs through dinner.
1. MAKE the caramelized onions: In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, melt the butter and olive oil. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, then reduce the heat to medium.
2. COOK until the onions are caramelized and rich, deep golden brown, about 25 minutes, stirring often. Turn the heat to medium-low or add water if onions are dry or start to scorch before caramelizing.
3. ADD the sugar, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes; cook for 1 minute. The onions should be jammy and darkly caramelized when done. Remove them to a plate to cool.
4. MAKE the sandwiches: Spread out the bread slices on a flat surface. Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on one side of each bread slice.
5. TURN 4 of the bread slices over and spread goat cheese on the plain side. Top the goat cheese with Gruyère, an even layer of beets, caramelized onions, and arugula. Top with the remaining bread, mayo side out. Secure with toothpicks, if desired.
6. MELT 1 tablespoon of butter with 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add two sandwiches, cover, and grill until the bottom of the bread is toasted, about 5-7 minutes, and cheese starts melting. Check often.
Comments are closed.