RECIPE: Macaroni & Cheese Grilled Cheese Sandwich
 A grilled cheese sandwich made with macaroni and cheese (photo © QVC).
We’re closing out National Grilled Cheese Month with something out of the ordinary: a grilled cheese sandwich made with macaroni and cheese.
It’s the creation of Chef David Venable of QVC, who created it to use up leftover mac and cheese.
(Really? Who ever has leftover mac and cheese?)
He uses extra slices of cheddar on top of the mac and cheese, which melt and will help hold the mac in place (photo #1).
And, since you don’t want to wait until you have leftovers, this recipe has you make the mac and cheese from scratch.
If you like heat, add some chili flakes to the recipe.
Ingredients For 4 Servings
1. MELT the butter in a medium-size saucepan. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
2. ADD the milk and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. When the sauce begins to simmer, remove the pan from the heat and add the shredded cheese, mustard, optional chili flakes, salt and pepper. Stir until all of the cheese has melted. Add the bacon and the cooked macaroni to the cheese sauce and stir to fully coat the macaroni. Set aside.
3. PREHEAT the oven to 350°F.
4. PLACE 8 slices of bread on a work surface and spread the mayonnaise onto one side of each slice. Flip over 4 slices of the bread and place 1 slice of cheddar on each.
5. DIVIDE the macaroni over the cheese-covered bread slices and spread evenly. Top with the remaining slices of cheddar and cover with the remaining bread slices, mayonnaise side facing out.
6. PREHEAT a square griddle pan to medium heat. Place the sandwiches on the hot griddle and toast until golden brown on one side, about 5–8 minutes. Flip the sandwiches; then place the griddle, with the sandwiches, in the oven and bake for about 5–8 minutes, or until golden brown and the cheese slices have melted.