We used to buy pumpkin caramels online from a caramel specialist. Then, we came across this recipe from Go Bold With Butter, the recipe website of the American Butter Institute.
Now we make several batches each fall for Halloween and Thanksgiving.
They’re delicious with a cup of coffee for a snack or a mini-dessert.
National Caramel Day is April 5th. National Chocolate Caramel Day is March 19th.
> The difference between caramel, butterscotch, toffee, and buttercrunch.
If you want to get fancy, sprinkle the caramels with edible gold glitter.
Prep time is 30 minutes, and cook time is 30 minutes.
1. BUTTER a 13 x 9-inch baking dish and line it with parchment paper so that the paper overhangs the two long sides of the pan.
2. COMBINE the heavy cream and pumpkin purée in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat at 100% power for 45 seconds and stir well.
3. PLACE the sugar, brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup in a heavy 5-quart pot. Pour in the pumpkin and cream mixture and stir together.
4. COOK over medium heat, stirring occasionally. The butter will melt and the mixture will begin to boil. Continue to cook until a candy thermometer reaches 244°F, about 30 minutes. Then…
5. REMOVE the pot from the heat. Stir in 1 tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice, the salt, and the vanilla. Pour the caramel into the prepared pan. Let it cool for several hours or refrigerate until firm.
6. REMOVE the caramel block from the pan by lifting it with the overhanging paper. Place the caramel block on a cutting board and slice it into pieces. Sprinkle with additional pumpkin spice, if desired (or edible glitter).
7. WRAP the caramels in waxed paper squares and twist the ends of the paper to enclose the candy. (The caramels must be wrapped or they will lose their shape over time at room temperature.)
If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice, you can make your own pumpkin pie spice blend and store it in a sealed jar for up to 6 months.
It can be used in recipes both savory and sweet. Savory uses include cooked winter squash, salad dressing, and hummus.
There is no one recipe for any blended spice. You can tweak the recipe as you like to bring out different flavors.
Here’s a recipe for pumpkin pie spice.
Ingredients For 1/4 Cup
Comments are closed.