We recently received a few jars of pie filling from Brownwood Farms:
Blueberry Premium Pie Filling & Topping
Michigan Apple Premium Pie Filling & Topping
Michigan Cherry Premium Pie Filling & Topping
We opened one and spooned out a bit (and then another bit, and another, and another…).
We planned to bake a pie this weekend, and then we thought:
What else can you do with a jar of pie filling besides a pie, cobblers, crisps, strudel and tartlets?
We came up with this list, where we can put the pie filling to use.
For the purpose of simplicity, we’re featuring only cherry pie filling; but you can substitute any flavor (except Black Forest Cake, which requires cherries).
Black Forest Cake topping and filling
Cherry Blossom cocktail
Cherry dump cake
Cherry ice cubes (1)
Cherry sangria (2)
Cherry swirl ice cream (3)
Cupcake surprise (4)
Grilled cheese with brie
Ice cream sundae/parfait
Jelly donut filling
Sauce for poultry(7)
Tea sweetener (6)
Yogurt pops/juice pops
30 NON-PIE USES FOR PIE FILLING
Think of creative uses. Out of jam? Spread it on your PB&J.
Making a cake for July 4th? Use it to create a red star on top of the icing.
Have more ideas? Let us know!
> THE HISTORY OF CHERRIES
> THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF SWEETENERS
(1) Blend with water and freeze in ice cube trays.
(2) Use instead of the sweetener in the sangria recipe.
(3) Soften vanilla or other flavor ice cream. Swirl in the pie topping and return to the freezer.
(4) Scoop a hole in the top of an un-iced cupcake. Add cherry pie filling, return the cake from the scoop, tamp down and ice the cupcake.
(5) When Jell-O is half-firm, swirl in the pie filling.
(6) Stir a spoonful into a glass of lemonade, iced tea or hot tea (no milk added), instead of other sweetener. In Russsia, tea has been sweetened this way for centuries.
(7) Deglaze the pan, adding some pie filling to the pan sauce.
 Pudding with cherry pie filling topping and graham cracker crumb base (photo © Taste Of Home).
 Yogurt parfait with pie filling, also great for an ice cream parfait (photo © Brownwood Farms).
 Cherry grilled cheese sandwich. Use a sweet cheese: cream cheese, brie, mascarpone, even a mild blue cheese (photo © Taste Of Home).
 Michigan Cherry, one of three premium pie fillings from Brownwood Farms (photo © Brownwood Farms).
 Cherry orangeade or orange soda. Just mix in a spoonful of pie filling (photo © Rodion Kutsaev | Unsplash).