This south-of-the-border meatloaf couldn’t be easier. It’s easily cooked in the microwave; or the oven, if you prefer.
Crushed tortilla chips, poblano chile peppers, and other common Mexican ingredients: bell peppers, onion, chipotle, shredded cheese.
A can of black beans—topped with the extra cheddar—and some rice make a festive Cinco de Mayo dinner.
Add a green salad with a lime vinaigrette: Just substitute fresh lime juice for the vinegar).
Serve the extra whole chips on the side with salsa or guacamole.
Thanks to Pampered Chef for the meatloaf recipe.
Ingredients For 6 Servings
1. FINELY CHOP the bell pepper and onion. Place the chips into large resealable plastic bag and very finely crush using a rolling pin or meat tenderizer to measure 1/2 cup (125 mL) crumbs.
2. COMBINE the ketchup and chipotle rub in small bowl; stir. In a large (6-quart) mixing bowl, combine pepper, onion, tortilla chip crumbs, 3/4 cup of the ketchup mixture, beef, egg and 1 cup of the cheese; mix well.
3. PLACE meat mixture in Deep Covered Baker; form into an 8-1/2 x 4-1/2-in. (22 x 12-cm) loaf. Microwave, covered, on HIGH for 14-17 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into center of meat loaf registers 145°F (63°C).
For oven cooking: the meatloaf can be baked, uncovered, in a 400°F (200°C) oven for 65-70 minutes. Brush with the sauce 15 minutes before end of bake time.
5. REMOVE the baker from the microwave or oven. With a basting brush, brush the remaining ketchup mixture over the meatloaf. Microwave, covered, on for HIGH 3-5 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 160°F (71°C) in the center.
6. SPRINKLE the remaining cheese over the meatloaf; cover and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Garnish with the cilantro.
Comments are closed.