Mexican Meatloaf & Other Special Cinco De Mayo Recipes
Each year we try new Cinco de Mayo recipes, and this south-of-the-border Mexican meatloaf recipe couldn’t be easier. It’s easily cooked in the microwave; or the oven, if you prefer.
Crushed tortilla chips, poblano chile peppers, and other common Mexican ingredients: bell peppers, onion, chipotle, shredded cheese.
A can of black beans—topped with the extra cheddar—and some rice make a festive Cinco de Mayo dinner.
Add a green salad with a lime vinaigrette: Just substitute fresh lime juice for the vinegar).
Serve the extra whole chips on the side with salsa or guacamole.
Thanks to Pampered Chef for the meatloaf recipe.
There are more Cinco de Mayo recipes below, including cocktails, mains, desserts, and snacks.
The history of Cinco de Mayo.
Ingredients For 6 Servings
1. FINELY CHOP the bell pepper and onion. Place the chips into a large resealable plastic bag and very finely crush using a rolling pin or meat tenderizer to measure 1/2 cup (125 mL) crumbs.
2. COMBINE the ketchup and chipotle rub in a small bowl; stir. In a large (6-quart) mixing bowl, combine pepper, onion, tortilla chip crumbs, 3/4 cup of the ketchup mixture, beef, egg, and 1 cup of the cheese; mix well.
3. PLACE meat mixture in Deep Covered Baker; form into an 8-1/2 x 4-1/2-in. (22 x 12-cm) loaf. Microwave, covered, on HIGH for 14-17 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into the center of the meatloaf registers 145°F (63°C).
For oven cooking: the meatloaf can be baked, uncovered, in a 400°F (200°C) oven for 65-70 minutes. Brush with the sauce 15 minutes before the end of bake time.
5. REMOVE the baker from the microwave or oven. With a basting brush, brush the remaining ketchup mixture over the meatloaf. Microwave, covered, on for HIGH 3-5 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 160°F (71°C) in the center.
6. SPRINKLE the remaining cheese over the meatloaf; cover and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Garnish with cilantro.