It’s beginning to look like July 4th! The Silpat cookie sheet is from Williams-Sonoma.
Want to bake cookies for July 4th?
1. MIX up and roll out your favorite sugar cookie dough (or other rolled cookie dough).
2. USE a star cookie cutter to cut shapes. If you have small and large star cutters, make large and small sizes.
Here’s a set of 6 nested star cookie cutters, that you can also use for Christmas cookies.
3. BAKE, cool and ice the cookie tops white royal icing (recipe below); then decorate with red and blue stripes. Voilà: the Stars and Stripes.
Check out the different types of cookies in our delicious Cookie Glossary.
ROYAL ICING RECIPE
1. MIX first three ingredients together for 7 to 10 minutes, until icing stiffens. If icing appears too stiff, add more water, one teaspoon at a time. You want the icing to be thin enough that you can pipe it easily. Tint 1/4 of the icing red, and 1/4 blue (see instructions below).
2. DECORATE the cookies when they are cool. Use an offset spatula to ice the cookie tops white. Then place the tinted icing into separate piping bags fitted with a very small round tip.
3. CREATE the red and blue stripes. If you don’t have a steady hand, wavy lines are fine. Keep the tip about 1/2 inch above the cookie as you ice. This helps to achieve a straighter line.
4. DRY the cookies completely, usually 1 to 2 hours.
Comments are closed.