We’re recommending vegan wraps for Earth Day. Animal-free foods are more sustainable, so today’s the day for a vegan lunch.
These two recipes were sent to us from Red Rock Press, from their book, A White House Garden Cookbook by Clara Silverstein.
Both are lettuce wraps, but you can also use tortilla wraps.
The first recipe, Daniel and Annie’s Salad Wraps, originated in the children’s section of the New York Botanical Garden and contains the surprise—and optional—ingredient of an edible wildflower.
You can serve these wraps with a dip, or spread mustard or Nasoya’s Nayonaise (excellent vegan mayonnaise) on the lettuce leaves before filling.
RECIPE: DANIEL & ANNIE’S SALAD WRAPS
Ingredients For 6 Servings
Thus wrap is packed with arugula, carrots, cucumber, lettuce and red cabbage. Photo courtesy Online-Vegetarian-Deli.com.
1. WASH and dry the lettuce leaves. Peel and slice the kohlrabi. Wash and dice the radishes. Wash the scallions, and cut off and discard the root ends.
2. LAY out 6 lettuce leaves on the counter top or a large plate. If using a spread, place atop leaves.
3. CUT cut the remaining 6 leaves into ribbons with scissors. Into each lettuce leaf, lay some kohlrabi and radishes, 1 scallion (cut it in half if it’s too long), and 1 mint or basil leaf. Roll it up and pin closed with a toothpick as needed. Garnish the top with edible flowers.
4. SERVE with your favorite dressing as a dip.
Tofu hummus wraps, a vegan sandwich with
the added protein of tofu. Photo courtesy
The second recipe, Lettuce Wrap Treats, is almost a dessert, folding dried fruits and nuts and a dab of vanilla yogurt into the lettuce leaf.
And, it couldn’t be easier to make!
If you want to present the ingredients as a “build your own,” each person can choose his or her own mix of ingredients.
RECIPE: LETTUCE LEAF WRAPS
Ingredients Per Wrap
*Pick the largest, most pliable lettuce leaves that you can find. Leaf lettuces work really well for this.
1. RINSE the lettuce in cold water and pat dry between sheets of paper towels.
2. ADD the fillings to the center of the leaf. Top with a dollop of vanilla yogurt.
3. FOLD the lettuce lengthwise over the toppings and then fold up the ends, like a burrito or a little package. Use a toothpick to secure as needed. Pick up and eat!