FOOD FUN: Bacon Cake Recipe
For family fun or to bring to a party, how about a bacon cake?
While some people can put bacon fat into the batter and/or the frosting, we prefer a standard yellow cake, cream cheese frosting and a topping of candied bacon.
A sheet or loaf cake format is easier than a layer cake—and puts you closer to the bacon (a higher bacon:cake ratio).
Make a bacon cake! Photo courtesy Boar’s Head.
1. BAKE your favorite yellow cake mix or recipe. Add optional corn kernels to batter.
2. MAKE cream cheese frosting.
3. MAKE candied maple bacon (recipe below).
CANDIED BACON RECIPE
1. PREHEAT oven to 400°F. Arrange bacon slices in single layer on foil-lined 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake in oven 15 minutes or until bacon edges begin to curl.
2. REMOVE pan from oven. Carefully drain drippings and set aside for other use.
3. MICROWAVE honey/maple syrup for 30 seconds, stirring after 15 seconds. Use a pastry brush to coat bacon. Bake 10 minutes longer or until bacon is browned and crisp.
4. COOL bacon on wire rack. Break into bite-size pieces. If you have more candied bacon than you need to top the cake, well, that’s not really a problem, is it? Snack away!