No grill? No worry! Photo courtesy Allen
|You don’t have to have an outdoor or indoor grill to make a great steak. Try this chef-honed technique that uses the oven and the stovetop:
For two strip steaks or rib eyes (1-1/2″ thick) or filet mignons (2-1/2″ thick):
1. Remove steaks from the refrigerator 2 hours before cooking; pat dry with a paper towel.
2. Ten minutes before cooking, preheat the oven to 400°F.
3. Heat a heavy, cast-iron skillet over medium high heat, until a few drops of water evaporate within 3 seconds.
4. Coat the bottom with 2 teaspons of grapeseed or canola oil. Salt each steak with 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt and sear for 2 minutes on each side, flipping once.
5. Transfer steaks in pan to the oven for 8 to 9 minutes for medium-rare (125° to 135 °F). Remove and let rest under a tent of aluminum foil for 5 minutes before serving.
Comments are closed.