THE NIBBLE BLOG: Products, Recipes & Trends In Specialty FoodsAlso visit our main website, TheNibble.com.
Archive for October 17, 2014
Who but the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board (EatWisconsinCheese.com) would come up with this innovative pairing: Gouda cheese with pumpkin seed brittle! Serve it as dessert during “pumpkin season.”
The result, while seemingly simple, is a complex dessert that is creamy, crunchy, spicy and sweet. (If you don’t like spicy foods, leave out the pepper.)
RECIPE: SPICY PUMPKIN SEED BRITTLE
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1-1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
3/4 cup (4 ounces) hulled spicy roasted pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes and/or 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Gouda or other favorite cheese
A seasonal “cheese course.” Photo courtesy Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board.
1. STIR together the baking soda and melted butter; set aside. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper; set aside a second sheet the same size. Butter the parchment on one side.
2. COMBINE the sugar, water and salt in a heavy 2-quart saucepan; bring to a low boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; wash down any sugar crystals on sides of pan with a pastry brush dipped in cold water. Simmer the syrup 10 to 12 minutes until it reaches 240°F on a candy thermometer. Remove from the heat. With a wooden spoon, add the pumpkin seeds and pepper.
3. RETURN the pan to medium-low heat while stirring; melt again until mixture turns amber brown and reaches 290°F (if the syrup becomes granular during cooking, continue to cook until it remelts). Remove from heat; stir in butter-baking soda mixture with wooden spoon.
4. POUR the mixture onto the prepared cookie sheet; cover with the second parchment sheet. Press the mixture with a rolling pin to 1/4-inch thick. Remove the top layer of parchment; cool completely; crack brittle.
5. STORE the brittle between layers of parchment in a sealed container for up to two weeks. Plate with a wedge of Gouda cheese, or serve alongside a platter of assorted cheeses.
Pumpkin ravioli. Photo courtesy Pom
Some people don’t like pumpkin, so fall offers them no pumpkin joy. Others are so excited that a diet of pumpkin latte, pumpkin muffins and pumpkin pancakes is seasonal splendor.
It becomes a Bubba Gump menu of pumpkin: pumpkin bagels and cream cheese, pumpkin pancake mix and coffee creamer for breakfast; pumpkin spice yogurt or soup for lunch, pumpkin pasta or risotto for dinner; pumpkin spice cookies and loaf cakes for snacking; and of course, for dessert, pumpkin pie and pumpkin ice cream.
And that’s just what you can pick up in the store! We got a mailer from Trader Joe’s that was all pumpkin, all the time; so we headed over to load up on pumpkin products.
All of the following are available at Trader Joe’s (except asterisked items), and many are available at other retailers nationwide.
Country Pumpkin Spice Granola
Joe’s Pumpkin O’s (Cheerios-type cereal with pumpkin and cinnamon)
Organic Pumpkin Toaster Pastries
Pecan Pumpkin Instant Oatmeal
Pumpkin Bagels and Pumpkin Cream Cheese (what a treat!)
Pumpkin Bread Muffin Mix
Pumpkin Cranberry Scone Mix
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
Pumpkin Greek Yogurt
Pumpkin Pancake & Waffle Mix, Gluten Free Pumpkin Pancake Mix
Pumpkin Rolls with Pumpkin Spice Icing
Pumpkin Spice Coffee
This Pumpkin Walks Into A Bar (cereal bars)
Pumpkin Brittle Chips
Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Spice Salted Caramels
Iced Pumpkin Scone Cookies
Pita Chips With Cranberries & Pumpkin Seeds
Pumpkin Cranberry Crisps (crackers)
Pumpkin Joe Joes (sandwich cookies)
Pumpkin Spiced Pumpkin Seeds
Pumpkin Spice Chai Latte Mix
Lunch & Dinner
Honey Roasted Pumpkin Ravioli
Organic Canned Pumpkin
Pumpkin Cornbread Mix
Pumpkin Pie Spice (to season sweet potatoes, squash,
Toasted Seed Pumpkin Oil (for grains, salads, vegetables)
Ginger Pumpkin Mini Mouthfuls (ice cream sandwiches)
Pumpkin Bar Baking Mix
Pumpkin Bread Pudding
Pumpkin cream cheese is a seasonal favorite at THE NIBBLE. Photo courtesy Trader Joe’s.
Pumpkin Ice Cream
Pumpkin Pie Mochi Ice Cream
Pumpkin Pie and Mini Pumpkin Pies
Pumpkin Pie Spice
Mini Decorative Pumpkins
Pumpkin Body Butter (skin care)
Head for the store!
© Copyright 2005-2017 Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. All images are copyrighted to their respective owners.