For National Meatball Day, March 9th, here are two fun recipes with meatballs. courtesy of Casa Di Bertacchi.
Both will be popular with busy moms, because the ingredients are quick to assemble. We don’t often use recipes that use a can of soup or canned potatoes as an ingredient; but here we make an exception to make it easy to celebrate National Meatball Day.
The meatballs, too, are purchased frozen from Casa di Bertacchi.
Of course, you make it from-scratch, using your favorite homemade pot pie recipe.
RECIPE: MEATBALL POT PIE
Ingredients For 6 Servings
Meatball Pot Pie. Photo courtesy Casa di Bertacchi.
1. PREHEAT the oven to 400°F.
2. COMBINE all ingredients except the crusts in a 2-quart bowl. Place one pie crust evenly over the bottom and sides of a deep dish pie pan, pressing it up over the sides.
3. FILL the pie crust with the meatball mixture. Cover with the second crust, sealing the edges and cutting slits in the top to vent steam. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool 5 minutes before serving.
RECIPE: MEATBALL KABOBS
Spell it kabob, kaboab, kebab or kebap: The word is transliterated from Arabic, so there’s no one definitive spelling.
Originating in the Eastern Mediterranean, a kabob consists of pieces of meat, fish or vegetables roasted or grilled on a skewer or spit.
*Substitute yellow bell pepper.
†If using bamboo skewers, soak in water for 30 minutes prior to assembling kabobs.
1. THREAD a meatball, bell pepper slice, yellow squash slice, mushroom and tomato on a long metal skewer. the Repeat pattern ending with a meatball.
2. REPEAT for the other five skewers.
3. COMBINE the Caesar dressing and black pepper.
4. PLACE the meatball skewers directly on a hot grill. Baste the kabobs with the dressing.
5. GRILL for 6–8 minutes, turning and basting every 2–3 minutes until done. Makes 6 kabobs.