February 8th is National Molasses Bar Day. How about whipping up a batch of chewy molasses bar cookies?
Before there were chocolate brownies, there were molasses bars.
This recipe, from Grandma’s Molasses, ups the chewiness and nutrition by adding nuts and dried dates.
Walnuts are popular, and pistachios and dates are a classic Middle East combination; but you can use any nut you favor.
For a special dessert tonight, top a bar with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Ingredients For 32 Bars
1. PREHEAT the oven to 350°F.
2. SIFT together the flour, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
3. COMBINE the egg, sugar, molasses, shortening and vanilla. Stir in the flour mixture, nuts and dates.
4. LINE a 9 x 9 x 2-inch pan with wax paper, greased and lightly floured. Pour in the batter and bake 40 minutes or until done.
5. TURN out onto cooling rack; remove the wax paper. When cool, cut into 32 bars. Store in an airtight container.