FOOD HOLIDAY: S’Mores Pie, Ice Cream Cake & More | The Nibble Webzine Of Food Adventures - The Nibble Webzine Of Food AdventuresFOOD HOLIDAY: S’Mores Pie, Ice Cream Cake & More | The Nibble Webzine Of Food Adventures
*You can substitute a prepared graham cracker crust for the crumbs, sugar and butter. You will still need some graham cracker crumbs for garnish.
If you have a chef’s torch, use it instead of the broiler in Step 3.
1. LINE a broiler-safe 8×8-inch glass or metal baking dish with foil, overlapping the edges of the dish with the foil (to help lift out the cake). Cut the pound cake into 1-inch slices (or as thick as desired) and tightly pack into a layer.
2. SOFTEN the ice cream at room temperature for 5 minutes; remove the carton from the ice cream and cut the ice cream in half. Place both halves on top of the cake layer, trimming as necessary. Use a spatula to press and spread the ice cream evenly. Add a layer of graham cracker crumbs. Cover and freeze solid, 30 minutes or more.
3. PREHEAT the broiler with the rack in the lower part of oven. Remove the ice cream cake from freezer; top with marshmallows (tightly placed together), spreading to edges of pan, pressing down to seal. Place cake under broiler, 8 to 10 inches from heating element. Broil until marshmallows are puffed and golden, 2 to 3 minutes, watching constantly.
4. REMOVE from oven, sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs and drizzle with optional chocolate sauce. Cut and serve immediately.
RECIPE: S’MORES CUPCAKES
Optional: mini marshmallows
1. BAKE or buy chocolate cupcakes. Frost with marshmallow creme. Add optional mini marshmallows and brown with a chef’s torch.
2. DECORATE with pieces of chocolate bar and graham cracker.
Ice Cream Cupcakes Variation
Instead of marshmallow creme, substitute vanilla or marshmallow ice cream. Garnish with mini marshmallows, chocolate and graham crackers.
It’s easy to assemble s’mores cupcakes. Photo courtesy Crumbs.
RECIPE: S’MORES ICE CREAM
Some brands offer s’mores ice cream; but you can make your own. You get to add your preferred form of marshmallow into this recipe: either a marshmallow creme swirl or mixed-in mini marshmallows.
Vanilla ice cream
Chocolate chips or chunks
Graham crackers, crumbled
Mini marshmallows or marshmallow creme
Optional: waffle cones
1. SOFTEN ice cream on counter. If using mini marshmallows, cut them in half in half.
2. SWIRL marshmallow creme through the ice cream; alternatively, mix mini marshmallows into the ice cream.
3. MIX in chocolate chips and graham crackers. Return ice cream to freezer.
4. SERVE in bowls, with chocolate pound cake, or in a waffle cone.