TIP OF THE DAY: Bake Biscuits On Sunday Mornings
✔ Smoked salmon with dilled cream cheese: check.
✔ Great brunch food: check.
? Homemade biscuits, warm from the oven: check?
With all the good bread options available at retail, including refrigerated rolls biscuits, the art of the homemade-from-scratch biscuit is practiced less and less often.
Why not make one Sunday a month Biscuit Sunday, rotating among favorites: baking powder biscuits, buttermilk biscuits, cheddar-chipotle biscuits, cream biscuits, ham biscuits, maple-bacon biscuits, rye biscuits, sausage rolls, sourdough-onion-sundried tomato biscuits, and so forth?
You can find recipes for all of these at KingArthurFlour.com.
It comes to us from Vital Choice, where it was provided by Kevin Lynch of Closet Cooking. Kevin says:
“The dilled buttermilk biscuits came together quickly and filled my place with an amazing dilly aroma while baking. The biscuits are nice and light and go perfectly with the smoked salmon, cream cheese, dill, and watercress filling.”
> More Biscuit Recipes
This recipe comes to us from Vital Choice, developed by Kevin Lynch of ClosetCooking.com.
With their red-and-green accents, they also make a nice holiday biscuit.
You can also make bite-size versions to serve with red, white or sparkling wine.
Ingredients For 8 Biscuit Sandwiches
For The Biscuits
 Forget the bagel and smoked salmon: Bake biscuits instead (photo © Kevin Lynch | Vital Choice).
1. MAKE the biscuits. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2. MIX the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Mix in the butter and toss until coated in flour. Add the dill and just enough buttermilk to form a sticky dough.
3. PLACE the dough on a lightly floured surface and form a disc about 1 inch thick. Cut the biscuits from the dough and place on a baking sheet. Brush the melted butter on top of the biscuits.
4. BAKE until golden brown, about 18-20 minutes. While the biscuits bake…
5. MAKE the filling. Mix the cream cheese, sour cream, dill and lemon zest in a bowl. When the biscuits are still warm but cool enough to work with…
6. SPREAD the dill on both cut sides of the each biscuit. Assemble with smoked salmon, watercress and optional tomato slice in the the center.
If you won’t use more than the cup required in this recipe, it may make sense to make your own.
For 1 cup of buttermilk, substitute 2 tablespoons of lemon juice or vinegar plus enough milk to make 1 cup.
But first, here’s what else you can do with leftover buttermilk:
And while you’re at it…
> THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF BUTTER
BISCUITS VS. ROLLS: THE DIFFERENCE
Biscuits and rolls are both made from flour, fat (butter, shortening, olive oil), liquid (buttermilk, cream, milk, water), and salt (some rolls do not contain fat).
What’s the difference?
Biscuits are risen with chemical leavening (baking powder); rolls are risen with yeast bread.