At this time of year, Brussels sprouts are in season and many people are debating how to prepare them for Thanksgiving. Our nana and aunt disagreed to the extent that each brought her preferred preparation (one a gratin laden with Gruyère and pancetta, one with a honey balsamic sauce).
But you don’t have to cook Brussels sprouts. You can slice them or remove the leaves (as with cabbage, remove the bottom core first). Then, make:
To start you off with raw Brussels sprouts, here’s a tasty salad with holiday accents. There’s another recipe below that combines raw Brussels sprouts with raw shaved root vegetables.
Prep time is 15 minutes.
Raw Brussels sprouts salad with holiday accents. Photo courtesy McCormick.
RECIPE: SHAVED BRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH CRANBERRIES & TOASTED WALNUTS
Raw Brussels sprouts, dried cranberries, toasted walnuts and toss in a light vanilla-sage vinaigrette for a salad that’s sure to please during holiday gatherings.
Ingredients For 5 Servings
1. WASH, trim and thinly shave the Brussels sprouts.
2. MIX the oil, vinegar, vanilla and seasonings in small bowl with a wire whisk until well blended. Add the cranberries; let stand 30 minutes to allow cranberries to soften.
RECIPE: SHAVED ROOT VEGETABLE SALAD
This recipe combines raw Brussels sprouts with raw fall root vegetables and some arugula for greenery. It was adapted from a recipe on GoodEggs.com. A bonus: You get to practice your shaving skills on a mandoline.
Ingredients For 2-4 Servings
†While the fronds come free with the fennel, we had fresh dill on hand and used those fronts instead (see Step 3 below).
‡Check out the different types of vinegar.
1. CAREFULLY SHAVE the radish, fennel, apple and celery root on a mandoline. (Depending on the size of the celery root, you may need to cut it in half before shaving.)
2. ROUGHLY CHOP a small handful of the fennel fronds.
3. COMBINE the arugula, apple, Brussels leaves, celery root, fennel, fennel fronds and radish and in a big bowl. Dress with the olive oil and vinegar, a drizzle of honey, salt and pepper.
4. ADJUST seasonings to taste and finish with blue cheese crumbles.