THE NIBBLE BLOG: Products, Recipes & Trends In Specialty FoodsAlso visit our main website, TheNibble.com.
July is National Blueberry Month and today is Smoothie Saturday. The U.S. Highbush Blueberry Council recommends with this great-looking Blueberry Mango Chile Smoothie, a layered smoothie.
RECIPE: BLUEBERRY MANGO CHILE SMOOTHIE
Ingredients For 2 Smoothies
2 cups blueberry compote (recipe below)
12 ounces (1-1/2 cups) low-fat vanilla Greek yogurt, divided
1 large mango, peeled, pitted, chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
16 ounces frozen (unthawed) blueberries
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
Ingredients For The Blueberry Compote
1. MAKE the blueberry compote, cover and chill.
Have you seen a more vivid smoothie? Photo courtesy BlueberryCouncil.org.
Blueberry compote, made with frozen blueberries. Photo courtesy BlueberryCouncil.org.
2. PLACE 6 ounces of the yogurt, the mango, chili powder and cayenne in a blender; blend until smooth. Divide the mango mixture between two 16-ounce cups; set aside.
3. RINSE the blender and place the Blueberry Compote and remaining yogurt in the blender; blend until smooth. Check the consistency and dilute with water or milk if needed.
4. SLOWLY POUR half of the blueberry mixture on top of each of the mango smoothies for a two-layer effect.
Preparation: Blueberry Compote
1. TOSS the blueberries with the sugar and cornstarch in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring; reduce the heat to low and simmer until the blueberries are heated through and the sauce is slightly thickened.
2. TASTE and add more sugar if needed. Allow to cool, cover and chill.
Comments are closed.
© Copyright 2005-2021 Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. All images are copyrighted to their respective owners.