Prepare the ingredients; then, it’s easy to layer (photo © California Avocado Commission).
RECIPE #1: YOUR OWN LAYERED SALAD
Choose whatever ingredients you want, from the list above or from browsing the market. Select your dressing. Then, prepare!
1. LAY out the rinsed, dried, cut produce ingredients.
2. PLACE the heaviest ingredients on the bottom of the jar (or bowl), and the most crushable items at the top.
Try to be as even as possible: The layers don’t have to be perfect but they look very nice when the ingredients are in neat rows.
3. CHOOSE your dressing; keep it separate until you’re ready to eat. Then, poured over the salad ingredients, seal the jar and gently invert the jar a few times to disperse the dressing.
Another option is to place the dressing at the bottom of the jar before layering the salad ingredients. Topping it with heavy ingredients like cucumbers and bell peppers will provide a bit of a barrier between the dressing and the salad.
RECIPE #2: SEVEN LAYER SALAD
Ingredients For 4 Servings
1. PLACE the ingredients in a small jar with a lid; shake until well-blended.
This recipe uses a fresh citrus Dijon dressing, which is poured over the salad ingredients before serving. Then, seal with the lid and then gently invert the jar a few times to disperse the dressing.
2. POUR dressing over each of the layered salads. Seal with jar lid and serve.