Here’s a fun idea for breakfast or brunch: “Gnocchi Home Fries,” made with potato gnocchi instead of sliced potatoes, in a yummy sage brown butter.
Sauté with pancetta, onions and rosemary.
Or, substitute sausage.
Either way, top with freshly-grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
Finally, top your gnocchi “home fries” with a poached or fried egg.
This recipe is courtesy of Giovanni Rana, which used its delicious Gnocchi di Patate (potato gnocchi) Home Fries with Pancetta and Sage Brown Butter Fried Eggs for a romantic brunch.
Find more recipes on the website.
For The “Home Fries”
1. SAUTÉ the pancetta or bacon over medium/low heat with extra virgin olive oil in a nonstick pan. When crispy, remove to a paper towel to drain.
2. ADD the onions and chopped rosemary and sauté over medium heat until the onions are tender and starting to brown; about 7-9 minutes. Remove to a bowl and wipe the pan clean.
3. HEAT 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in the nonstick pan over high heat until almost smoking. Add the gnocchi and sauté, constantly tossing to prevent burning, until they are golden brown. Turn off the heat.
4. RETURN the onions and pancetta to the pan. Add 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter and toss until the butter is melted. Empty the contents of the pan into a bowl. Add the Parmigiano-Reggiano and toss.
5. MELT 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter in a small nonstick pan over medium heat. Add the fresh sage leaves and swirl pan until the butter begins to brown. Turn off the heat off and allow the pan to cool slightly—about 1 minute.
6. ADD the eggs and season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Fry the eggs on medium/low heat to the desired doneness, spooning some of the brown butter over top of them a few times. Cook for about 2-1/2 minutes for sunny side up.
7. PLATE the home fries and top with the fried eggs.