Jalapeño Popper Salad with popcorn, a whole grain. Photo courtesy Just Salad | NYC.
Popcorn in a salad? Well, popcorn’s a whole grain, just like barley, brown rice, corn and quinoa. So why not?
Here’s a fun idea from Laura Pensierio, executive chef at Just Salad in New York City.
Called the Jalapeño Popper Salad, it includes kettle corn, fresh jalapeños and mandarin oranges with lettuces.
We used regular popcorn in our re-creation to avoid the that coats kettle corn (the sugar coating on the corn keeps it from getting soggy).
But the popcorn’s just as good plain and less crisp. You can use cheese corn or other flavored popcorn, herbed or spiced, and add it after the dressing, as we’ve done below.
And if you don’t like much heat in your food, pass up the jalapeños for a few grinds of fresh pepper. Or switch the jalapeño for chopped broccoli.
RECIPE: POPCORN JALAPEÑO SALAD
1. MIX all the salad ingredients except the popcorn. Toss with vinaigrette.
2. GARNISH with the popcorn. Serve immediately.
RECIPE: VITAMIN C SNIFFLE-FIGHTING SALAD
Chef Laura has also crafted a “Cold-Be-Gone” salad, focusing on ingredients with lots of vitamin C.
A bunch of fresh spinach, bursting with
vitamin C. Photo by Stephen Ausmus | U.S.
Agricultural Research Service.
FOODS HIGHEST IN VITAMIN C
Percentage of Daily Value‡:
1. Guava has 628% DV per cup.
2. Red bell peppers have 349% DV per 100g; yellow bell peppers have 306% DV and green bell peppers have 220% DV.
3. Kiwi has 278% DV per cup.
4. Strawberries have 163% DV per cup. Other berries: raspberries 54%, blackberries 50% and blueberries 24%.
5. Orange has 160% DV per cup. Other citrus fruits: 1/4 pomelo 155%, lemon 74%, clementine 60% and 1/2 grapefruit 57%.
6. Papaya has 147% DV per cup. Pineapple has 131%, cantaloupe has 108% DV, mango has 100% DV and honeydew has 53%.
7. Broccoli has 135% DV per cup. Other cruciferous vegetables: Brussels sprouts 125%, green cauliflower 94%, white cauliflower 86%, red cabbage 85%, and green (white) cabbage 60%.
8. Kale has 134% DV per cup. Other dark green leafy vegetables: turnip greens 55%, Swiss chard 18%, and Spinach 14%.
9. Fresh green peas have 97% DV per cup. Cooked frozen peas have 59% and snow peas have 63% DV.
10. Tomatoes have 91% DV per cup.