A match made in heaven: coconut and fried
shrimp. Photo courtesy Chef Johnny Prep.
We reserve coconut shrimp as a special dish to eat once a year. We love it, but gave up the fried group during New Year’s resolutions a few years back.
Our once-a-year arrived when we received this recipe. This is a festive, make-ahead dish: The shrimp can be breaded up to 24 hours in advance and kept refrigerated. Prep time 30 minutes.
The recipe is by Johnny Prep. It can be served family style, or individually plated.
Ingredients For 5 Servings
For The Dipping Sauce
1. PLACE jams or preserves, pineapple and horseradish in food processor and process until ingredients are fully mixed together. Place in a dipping bowl or individual ramekins and set aside.
2. PLACE bread in food processor along with cayenne pepper; process into coarse bread crumbs. Stir in coconut.
3. PLACE bread crumbs mixture, flour and eggs into separate dredging bowls. Whisk eggs with fork. Season each with salt.
4. ARRANGE dredging containers in a row starting with flour, then eggs, then bread crumbs, plus a large plate to hold the breaded shrimp. Shrimp can be breaded up to 24 hours in advanced and kept refrigerated.
5. DREDGE each shrimp in flour first, then egg wash, then breadcrumbs. Apply pressure during breadcrumb stage to ensure full coating.
For a lighter dip, use mango or pineapple salsa. Photo courtesy Chef Johnny Prep.
TECHNIQUE: Use one hand to pick up raw shrimp and coat eggs, use the other had as a dry hand to coat with flour and breadcrumbs. This limits the buildup of breading on your hands.
6. FRY shrimp until golden brown in oil, using a deep frying pan or a deep fryer. Drain on paper towels and season lightly with salt.
7. PLACE on a platter with the dipping bowl in the center; or divide into individually plated portions.
Chef Johnny Prep is an author, entrepreneur, cooking show host, soup expert, and an advocate for children’s health. The author of The Five Star Entertaining Casual Cookbook, simple high-end restaurant-quality recipes. Visit JohnnyPrep.net.