Smoke up your mac & cheese with smoked
|Add some smoke to your favorite mac & cheese recipe.
Divide the total cheese in a 75:25 proportion and use 25% smoked cheese. For example, if 8 ounces of Cheddar cheese are called for, use 6 ounces of Cheddar and 2 ounces of smoked cheese (smoked Jack, smoked Gouda, etc.).
If you’d like more smoke flavor after you’ve tasted the dish, use a 50:50 proportion next time.
Here’s a recipe from Vermont’s Jericho Hill Farm:
RECIPE: MACARONI & SMOKED CHEESE
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Cook macaroni.
2. Cook onion in butter with salt and pepper until onion is slightly tender.
3. Blend in flour. Cook over low heat, stirring continuously, until mixture is smooth and bubbly.
4. Remove from heat. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Stir one minute at boiling.
5. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese until melted.
6. Mix with macaroni in a 1 ½ quart casserole dish. Cook uncovered in oven for 30 minutes.
7. Garnish and serve with a mixed green salad dressed with a vinaigrette.
See a wealth of award-winning mac & cheese recipes. There are some real dazzlers for Mother’s Day (with lobster, crab, truffle essence, etc.).
Comments are closed.