November 25, 2008 at 9:00 am
· Filed under Meat & Poultry, Recipes, Thanksgiving & Fall
||Still not sure about how to prepare the Thanksgiving bird? While the Pilgrims didn’t get anywhere near the Caribbean, it doesn’t mean you can’t groove to Roasted Turkey with Puerto Rican Flavors, courtesy of Chef Patricia Wilson of Johnson & Wales University and Restaurants & Institutions magazine.
-1/4 cup olive oil
-1 teaspoon achiote seeds
-6 cloves garlic, minced
-1 tablespoon powdered cumin
-2 tablespoons sea salt
-2 tablespoons black pepper
-1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
-14-pound whole turkey, fresh or froze/thawed
-Ripe plantain stuffing (recipe follows)
1. Gently heat olive oil and add achiote seeds. Steep for 10 minutes and allow oil to turn a bright red/orange color. (Do not fry seeds or the oil will become bitter.) Strain.
2. Mix garlic with spices. Stir in achiote oil until it forms a paste.
3. Pat turkey dry with paper towels. Rub turkey with a thin layer of the spice rub. Cover and marinate turkey in the refrigerator for about 10-15 hours.
4. Loosely fill turkey cavity with the plantain stuffing. Fold turkey wings under the back of the turkey and return legs to the tucked position. Place turkey on rack, and set in large shallow roasting pan. Roast turkey in a 325°F oven, basting occasionally with pan drippings. Roast for approximately 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until the internal temperature of the turkey reaches 180°F in the thigh and the stuffing reaches 165°F.
5. Loosely tent the turkey with foil and allow turkey to rest for about 15-20 minutes prior to carving.
6. Place on a platter and garnish with chili peppers and orange slices.
Yield: 12 servings
RIPE PLANTAIN STUFFING
-1/2 cup golden raisins
-1/4 cup gold rum
-10 plantains, very ripe
-8 ounces unsalted butter
-1/2 cup water
-Sugar to taste
-1 cinnamon stick
1. Plump raisins in rum.
2. Peel and cube the plantains. Melt butter in a skillet and sauté plantains.
3. Add water, sugar and cinnamon stick. Cook until the plantains are soft, about 25 minutes. Add rum and raisins and cook for 10 more minutes.
4. Slightly mash plantains. Let cool.
Please follow and like us:
Comments are closed.