Before National Blueberry Month ends, our weekend baking projects include this recipe for Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake Bars, sent to us by Fruits From Chile.
What Americans call bars are a type of cookie. Bar cookies, which include such popular varieties as brownies, lemon bars, and oatmeal bars, do have a dense cake-like consistency. So why are they called cookies?
A cookie is defined as a baked sweet made in individual portions that are eaten with the fingers—i.e., finger food. Cake is eaten with a fork.
Can you serve a bar cookie on a plate with a fork?
Yes, and you can also add a scoop of ice cream.
> July 30th is National Cheesecake Day.
> The history of lemons.
> The history of lemons and the different types of lemons.
1. MAKE the crust. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 13-by-9-inch baking pan.
2. SOFTEN 1/2 cup of the butter and combine it with 1/2 cup of granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat until fluffy. Add 2 cups flour, the baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Beat until crumbly.
3. TRANSFER the crumbs to the baking pan and pat to make an even layer. Bake for 10 minutes until the surface is dry but not browned. Meanwhile…
4. MAKE the filling. In the same mixer bowl, beat the cream cheese, the remaining 1/4 cup of granulated sugar, lemon zest, and juice, and almond extract until fluffy. Beat in the eggs until combined. When the crust has finished baking…
5. SPREAD the cheesecake mixture evenly over the top of the crust and bake for 20 minutes until the cheesecake has set. Meanwhile…
6. MAKE the crumb top layer. Stir together in a medium bowl the brown sugar, the remaining 3/4 cup flour, the cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Cut in the remaining 3/4 cup flour, the cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
7. CUT the remaining 6 tablespoons of butter into 1/2-inch pieces and add them to the brown sugar mixture. Work the butter into the mixture with a pastry blender or your fingers until uniform crumbs have formed. Stir in the almonds. When the cheesecake layer has baked…
8. SPRINKLE the blueberries and crumb mixture over it and bake for 20 minutes until the crumbs have browned. Cool to room temperature and refrigerate at least 2 hours until the cheesecake is firm. Then cut into 24 bars.
In the U.K., bar cookies are known as “tray bakes.”
Comments are closed.