Lobster Mac & Cheese Recipe For National Lobster Day
June 15th, National Lobster Day. Decisions, decisions. A lobster roll? Lobster and avocado salad? Broiled lobster tails? Lobster pot pie?
We’re going for Lobster Mac & Cheese today. Inspired by this recipe from DeLallo, we made a big batch and paired it with a buttery Chardonnay, 2019 Au Bon Climat Los Alamos Historic Vineyard Chardonnay, from Santa Barbara County.
The recipe uses both Gruyére and Havarti cheeses. DeLallo used its Shellbows pasta, this ridged, shell-elbow hybrid is great for thicker, creamier sauces, that are easily captured in its curved tube and ridged exterior.
You can substitute other ridged pasta, like rigatoni.
> The history of macaroni and cheese.
> More lobster recipes for National Lobster Day.
> More macaroni and cheese recipes.
1. PREHEAT the oven to 375°F. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to package instructions. Drain. Meanwhile…
2. MELT 6 tablespoons of butter in a large pot. Whisk in the flour and cook until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk and continue to whisk until thickened and smooth, about another 2-3 minutes.
3. REMOVE the pot from the heat and add the cheeses, pepper, and nutmeg. Stir in the cooked pasta and lobster to coat.
4. DIVIDE between 6 individual gratin dishes (or ramekins or other oven-proof dishes—if you don’t have individual dishes, use one large dish). Bake for 25 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly.
5. MELT the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in the pot. Stir in the breadcrumbs. Top the gratin dishes with the buttery breadcrumbs and broil for 5 minutes or until the breadcrumbs are browned on the top. Serve immediately.
*A buttery texture can be found in Chardonnay that goes through malolactic fermentation, a process that softens the acidity of the wine. It converts the harsh malic acid in the pressed grape juice into the more palatable, softer lactic acid. The sharp acid notes are reduced, and the wine has a softer, buttery texture. Aging in oak provides buttery flavor notes.