A Spicy Watermelon Margarita? Sure! (Photo courtesy STK LA).  A Watermelon Mojito Cocktail (photo courtesy The Merry Thought).  Tajin seasoning, a versatile hot spice blend (photo courtesy Tajin Product; see more about Tajin below,
If you’re buying a watermelon for the holiday weekend, buy a bigger one and make watermelon cocktails.
STK LA, which sent us this recipe, calls it the Secret Affair, made with Don Julio tequila.
Somehow, that name didn’t ring true so we’re calling it as we see it: a Spicy Watermelon Margarita. We have more watermelon cocktail recipes below.
RECIPE: SPICY WATERMELON MARGARITA
Ingredients Per Drink
2 ounces silver tequila (the different types of tequila)
.75 ounce fresh lime juice
.5 ounce simple syrup (we substituted orange liqueur—the different types of orange liqueur)
4 watermelon cubes
1 slice fresh red chile pepper (anything from an Anaheim (modest heat) to jalapeño or habanero
Optional: whole red chile or chile slice
Ice cubes: make them from watermelon juice for more intense flavor/less drink dilution
Sparkling sugar/sanding sugar (the different types of sugar)
Red chili flakes
Substitute: Tajin seasoning (see below)
For The Rim
1. MAKE the glass rimer: Combine the sugar, salt and chile in the proportions you prefer. We used 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 tablespoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon chili flakes. Moistening the rims of the glasses, twist in the mixture. Set aside.
2. MUDDLE the chile and watermelon in a cocktail shaker. Add the tequila, lime and simple syrup.
3. SHAKE and strain on the rocks into the rimmed glasses.
WHAT IS TAJIN SEASONING?
Made by Tajin Products, a Mexican company, this mildly spicy seasoning combines chili, lime and salt. It is delicious on fruits: citrus, cucumber, melon, and tropical fruit (mango, papaya, pineapple, etc.); and in cooked fruit recipes.
It’s a versatile seasoning. In addition to its popularity as a glass rimmer for cocktails or juice drinks, try it on:
Ice pops and sorbet
Vegetables and grains
A Mexican staple, you can find Tajin seasoning in the Mexican foods aisle in supermarkets, in Latin American food stores, and online.
RECIPE: WATERMELON MOJITO MOCKTAIL
Thanks to The Merry Thought for this luscious cocktail. Designated drivers, kids, non-drinkers and the regular cocktail crowd will clamor for it.
For extra fun and flavor, make the ice cubes from watermelon juice.
3 cups chopped watermelon
Juice of 2 limes (4 tablespoons)
1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
Mint leaves (for cocktails and garnish)
Garnish: mint sprig and watermelon wedge
Optional: bottle of tequila for those who might want a real Mojito*
Ingredients For 2 Drinks
1. BLEND the watermelon, lime juice and 1 teaspoon sugar in a blender until smooth. Muddle 2 mint leaves with 1/4 teaspoon sugar in the bottom of each glass. Add the watermelon pur ée, filling the glass about 1/2 full.
2. ADD the ice and a splash of ginger ale and top with club soda. Stir to combine. Garnish as desired and serve.
Watermelon-Cucumber Summer Splash
Watermelon Gin Martini
Watermelon Mint Lemonade
Watermelon Wave & 5 More Watermelon Cocktails
MORE WATERMELON COCKTAIL RECIPES
*Provide a shot glass and stirrers with the bottle.