TIP OF THE DAY: Watermelon Cocktails
If you’re buying a watermelon for the holiday weekend, buy a bigger one and make watermelon cocktails.
STK LA, which sent us this recipe, calls it the Secret Affair, made with Don Julio tequila.
Somehow, that name didn’t ring true so we’re calling it as we see it: a Spicy Watermelon Margarita. We have more watermelon cocktail recipes below.
Ingredients Per Drink
1. MAKE the glass rimer: Combine the sugar, salt and chile in the proportions you prefer. We used 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 tablespoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon chili flakes. Moistening the rims of the glasses, twist in the mixture. Set aside.
2. MUDDLE the chile and watermelon in a cocktail shaker. Add the tequila, lime and simple syrup.
3. SHAKE and strain on the rocks into the rimmed glasses.
Made by Tajin Products, a Mexican company, this mildly spicy seasoning combines chili, lime and salt. It is delicious on fruits: citrus, cucumber, melon, and tropical fruit (mango, papaya, pineapple, etc.); and in cooked fruit recipes.
It’s a versatile seasoning. In addition to its popularity as a glass rimmer for cocktails or juice drinks, try it on:
RECIPE: WATERMELON MOJITO MOCKTAIL
Thanks to The Merry Thought for this luscious cocktail. Designated drivers, kids, non-drinkers and the regular cocktail crowd will clamor for it.
For extra fun and flavor, make the ice cubes from watermelon juice.
1. BLEND the watermelon, lime juice and 1 teaspoon sugar in a blender until smooth. Muddle 2 mint leaves with 1/4 teaspoon sugar in the bottom of each glass. Add the watermelon pur ée, filling the glass about 1/2 full.
2. ADD the ice and a splash of ginger ale and top with club soda. Stir to combine. Garnish as desired and serve.
*Provide a shot glass and stirrers with the bottle.