For The Frosting
1. BEAT butter with paddle attachment of an electric mixer until fluffy.
2. TURN dial to low speed and add the confectioner’s sugar.
3. SLOWLY STREAM in the tequila and lime juice, and beat until smooth.
For The Garnish
1. COMBINE salt and cayenne pepper in a small bowl. Toss until fully mixed.
2. FROST cooled cupcakes and sprinkle with cayenne salt.
Limited edition Hornitos Black Barrel tequila. Photo courtesy Hornitos.
ABOUT HORNITOS BLACK BARREL TEQUILA
Hornitos Black Barrel Tequila is a limited release that provides a very different tequila experience. The nose is distinctly whiskey-like, with a complex layering on the palate of wood, fruit and spice.
The goal was to create a super smooth, 100% agave tequila, uniquely triple-aged to deliver complex whiskey notes. Tequila traditionalists may question the approach, but those seeking the new and different will likely be delighted.
First, Black Barrel is aged in American oak barrels for 12 months (typically they are used Bourbon barrels), like a traditional añejo tequila (see the different types of tequila).
Adding to this complex flavor, the Black Barrel is then moved to deeply charred American oak barrels for four months. This aging adds caramel flavors and the richness, golden amber color and smoky notes traditionally found in whiskey.
For the last leg of the triple aged experience, the tequila is aged in specially-toasted American oak barrels for two months. This imparts a creamier, vanilla character that adds depth and complexity, and rounds out the smoothness of the body.
Yes, you can drink shots of Black Barrel while enjoying the cupcakes.