TIP OF THE DAY: Add Spirits Or Liqueurs To Mousse Recipes
Nothing picks up the flavor of a mousse recipe—be it chocolate, coffee, raspberry or other favorite—than a spirit or liqueur (liqueur is a spirit that has been sweetened with flavors, oils and/or extracts).
We always add a tablespoon of cherry, coffee or orange liqueur to chocolate mousse. In the recipe below, SKYY vodka replaces cherry liqueur with its cherry vodka.
You can try other flavor-infused vodkas with the recipe—orange or espresso, for example—but first try:
SKYY Infusions Cherry Vodka Chocolate Mousse
Kids might prefer a box of chocolate-covered cherries, but adults tend to favor cherry-vodka-spiked chocolate mousse. If you’re making dessert for both kids and adults, split the batch before you add the vodka.
And should you happen to have a box of chocolate-covered cherries, add one to each plate as “the cherry on the cake.”* Serve a shot of cherry vodka or cherry liqueur with the mousse.
Yield: 4 servings
Put some spirit(s) in your mousse!
Photo courtesy SKYY Spirits.
1. Place the semisweet chocolate in a large bowl in the microwave. Microwave on high for 1 minute, give the chocolate a stir, then microwave for another 30 seconds until completely melted. Set aside.
2. In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer at high speed until it holds medium peaks. Set aside.
3. In a chilled clean bowl, beat the cream with an electric mixer at high speed until it holds medium peaks. Mix the yolks and vodka into the melted chocolate. Fold in 1/3 of the egg whites to lighten the mixture; add the remaining 2/3 of the egg whites and fold gently to keep the air in the beaten egg whites.
4. Add the whipped cream and fold in gently, taking care not to over mix. Spoon the mousse into 4 martini glasses.
5. Using a vegetable peeler, shave chocolate on top of the mousse. Garnish with mint. Chill for at least 1 hour or up to a day ahead.
*An idiom for “something wonderful at the end of something good.” In French, it’s a direct translation, “la cerise sur le gâteau.”
More Mousse Recipes
Find more mousse recipes in our Desserts Section.