Chicken and waffles may sound like an odd mix of food for people who have never had it. But the sweet and savory blend makes perfect sense. The dish is very popular in the South, at church breakfasts nationwide, and of course, at waffle houses. We have a healthier chicken and waffles recipe below, using frozen waffles.
Here’s a flavorful jerk spiced interpretation of classic chicken and waffles. It’s healthier and less labor-intensive because it does not call for dredging and deep-frying the chicken. We made the recipe with Smucker’s Snack’n Waffles, sent to us by Smucker’s so that our consulting chef, Eric Dantis, could spin his culinary magic. He turned the Snack’n waffles into a family-favorite main course and dessert.
For the main course, Chef Dantis made Chicken and Waffles (the recipe is below the video); for dessert, he made Peanut Butter & Jelly Ice Cream Waffle Sandwiches.
Chef Dantis chose Smucker’s Maple Flavored Waffles for this recipe, and the Chocolate Chip Waffles for dessert. Other flavors include Blueberry and Cinnamon. There’s a store locator on the Smucker’s website.
National Chicken & Waffles Day is October 20th.
This recipe serves 4.
1. DEFROST Smucker’s Maple Snack’n Waffles.
2. MIX all spices except salt and pepper and sprinkle over both sides of chicken.
3. MARINATE the chicken for 20 minutes and up to 45 minutes.
4. HEAT a pan over medium heat with enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan. When the pan is hot…
5. SEASON the chicken with salt and pepper and place it skin-side down in the pan. When browned…
6. TURN the chicken over and finish cooking until done. When the chicken is cooked…
7. REMOVE it from the pan and let rest.
8. TOAST the waffles. Place the chicken over toasted waffles.
9. MELT the butter in the same pan that the chicken was cooked in, and drizzle butter over the chicken. You’re ready to eat!
Comments are closed.