RECIPE: Healthier Chicken And Waffles Recipe With Frozen Waffles | THE NIBBLE Blog - Adventures In The World Of Fine FoodRECIPE: Healthier Chicken And Waffles Recipe With Frozen Waffles – THE NIBBLE Blog – Adventures In The World Of Fine Food
Chicken and waffles may sound like an odd mix of food for people who have never had it. But the sweet and savory blend makes perfect sense. The dish is very popular in the South, at church breakfasts nationwide, and of course, at waffle houses.
Here’s a flavorful jerk spiced interpretation of classic chicken and waffles. It’s healthier and less labor intensive because it does not call for dredging and deep frying the chicken. We made the recipe with Smucker’s Snack’n Waffles, sent to us by Smucker’s so that our consulting chef, Eric Dantis, could spin his culinary magic. He turned the “snackin” waffles into a family-favorite main course and dessert.
Chef Dantis chose Smucker’s Maple Flavored Waffles for this recipe, and the the Chocolate Chip Waffles for dessert. Other flavors include Blueberry and Cinnamon. There’s a store locator on the Smucker’s website.
CHICKEN AND WAFFLES RECIPE
There are numerous ways to enjoy chicken and waffles: topped with gravy and onions and/or mushrooms, or gravy with chicken livers or giblets. Popular sides include biscuits, candied yams, corn bread, fries, greens, red beans and scrambled eggs. We had ours with a big, green salad.
This recipe serves 4.
1 box Smuckers Maple Flavored Snack’n Waffles (if you can’t find the maple flavor, you can use Cinnamon, a plain frozen waffle, or make your own maple waffles with one or more teaspoons of maple syrup in the batter)
4 chicken thighs or breasts (or whatever combination your family likes)
1. Defrost Smucker’s Maple Snack’n Waffles
2. Mix all spices except salt and pepper and sprinkle over both sides of chicken.
3. Let chicken marinate for 20 minutes and up to 45 minutes.
4. Heat a pan over medium heat with enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan.
5. When pan is hot, season chicken with salt and pepper and place skin side down in pan.
6. When browned, turned chicken over and finish cooking until done.
7. When the chicken is cooked, remove from the pan and let rest.
8. Toast the waffles.
9. Places chicken over toasted waffles.
10. Melt butter in same pan that chicken was cooked in, and drizzle butter over the chicken.