Save your investment: Freeze meat properly!
Photo courtesy Allen Brothers.
Do you purchase meat and toss it straight into the freezer in the flimsy packaging it came in? If so, you’re leaving it subject to freezer burn— dehydration and oxidation from the air that gets in through non-airtight packaging.
Follow these steps to conserve that pricey meat:
1. Discard the supermarket packaging.
2. Rewrap the meat tightly with plastic food wrap or aluminum foil.
3. Place it in a heavy-duty plastic freezer bag. While sealing the bag, squeeze out as much air as possible.
4. Remember to slowly defrost the meat in the fridge prior to cooking (see why in this prior post).
5. You can re-use the heavy-duty plastic freezer bag—it’s environmentally-friendly and cost-saving. Wash the bag with soap and water, rinse thoroughly and invert it on a tall bottle to dry.
Want to know more about the cuts of meat? See our: