THE NIBBLE BLOG: Products, Recipes & Trends In Specialty FoodsAlso visit our main website, TheNibble.com.
|We’re always testing food at THE NIBBLE; and with the warm weather we were having yesterday, a member of our team picked up both Starbucks and Dunkin’ Donuts iced coffees. At Dunkin’ Donuts, she was tempted by the fall donut display and picked up a sampling:
- Fall Munchkins Donut Hole Treats. Decorated with autumn-colored non-pareils, these cuties were the winner by a mile. Suggested retail price $4.49 for a 25-count box.
- Pumpkin Donut. Our second favorite was the glazed cake donut, which was said to be pumpkin-flavored. We didn’t taste the pumpkin, but the dough is—surprise!—a fun pumpkin color. And it’s a good glazed donut. Suggested retail price $.89.
- Fall Harvest Donut. We didn’t get to try this yeast ring donut topped with orange icing and a festive sprinkle mix. But we love yeast donuts; maybe tomorrow? Suggested retail price $.89.
- Pumpkin Muffin. This large muffin—share it with someone—is topped with white icing and streusel crumbs. It’s too crumbly for us, and the pumpkin flavor could be more pronounced. Suggested retail price $1.39.
What about a lowfat muffin? Now there’s the:
Our fall favorites at Dunkin’ Donuts: The glazed
Pumpkin Donut at left, with pumpkin-colored
dough inside and the colorful Fall Munchkins.
At top, Pumpkin Muffin. At right, Low Fat
Caramel Apple Muffin. Photo by Evan Dempsey
| THE NIBBLE.
- Low Fat Apple Caramel Muffin. This is Dunkin’ Donuts’ first low-fat muffin, with only three grams of fat. It’s part of the DDSMART menu of better-for-you items that meet at least one of the following criteria: 25% fewer calories; 25% less sugar, fat, saturated fat or sodium than comparable fare, and/or contain ingredients that are nutritionally beneficial. This muffin may have 25% less fat, but it’s a big muffin with plenty of calories and carbs. Might we suggest that “better for you” would be a mini two-ounce muffin, and not six ounces or more? We’re just saying! Suggested retail price $1.39.
In terms of the iced coffee: Starbucks won ($3.05 compared to $2.82, representing NYC prices with tax).
Comments are closed.
© Copyright 2005-2019 Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. All images are copyrighted to their respective owners.