Raspberry pie with a flower crust from Driscoll’s. Chocolate cream pie topped with raspberry cream (photo courtesy Driscoll’s).  A raspberry tart from LottieAndDoof.com with a coconut crust. Here’s the recipe.  A Linzertort is a shortbread crust filled with raspberry preserves (photo courtesy MackenzieLtd.com).  Chocolate cream pie with a raspberry cream top (recipe below, photo courtesy Driscoll’s).  This is the right month to find well-priced raspberries (photo courtesy MorgueFile).
August 1st is National Raspberry Cream Pie Day, completing a sweet trifecta that also includes National Cheesecake Day (July 30th) and National Raspberry Cake Day (July 31st).
For a previous year’s Raspberry Cream Pie celebration, we published a classic French raspberry tart (see Pie Vs. Tart, below): a shortbread crust filled with creme patisserie and topped with raspberries. Here’s the recipe.
This recipe one-ups a simple raspberry cream pie: It’s a chocolate cream pie topped with raspberry cream (fourth photo).
Prep time is 25 minutes plus chilling.
Ingredients For The Crust
1. MAKE the crust. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the crumbs and sugar in a medium bowl and stir in the butter until evenly blended. Press the crumb mixture firmly on the bottom and up the sides of a 9-1/2-inch pie plate. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool.
2. MAKE the filling. Whisk together 1/2 cup milk and the cornstarch. Set aside.
3. BRING the remaining 1-1/2 cups milk, sugar, cocoa and salt just to a simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently. Stir the cornstarch mixture then add to the milk mixture in saucepan and bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Once mixture is at a boil and quite thick, cook 1 additional minute. Remove from the heat.
4. MELT the chocolate and stir it into the melted chocolate and vanilla.
5. SPOON the filling into the cooled crust. Cover the surface directly with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming (personally, we like the skin!). Chill at least 4 hours or overnight.
6. MAKE the raspberry purée. Purée 1/2 package of raspberries in the food processor fitted with metal blade (the other half is used for garnish). Strain through a fine mesh strainer. Discard the seeds. Stir the sugar into the purée until dissolved.
7. BEAT the heavy cream and sugar until stiff peaks just form. Stir in the vanilla. Spread the whipped cream topping on chilled pie. With a small spoon (an espresso spoon is great) drop small amounts of raspberry purée onto the whipped cream. Use a toothpick or sharp knife to swirl the purée into the whipped cream (see the 4th photo). Garnish with the remaining raspberries.
CREAM PIE VS. CREAM PIE
What’s the difference between cream and creme? Just the spelling.
Creme is an Americanization of the French word for cream, crème (pronounced KREHM), most likely adopted to make a dish sound more special.
But why mispronounce another language’s word for cream? Unless it’s a French recipe, such as Coeur à la Crème or Crème Brûlée, stick to cream.
We made a raspberry cream tart instead of a pie? What’s the difference between a pie and a tart? It’s interesting enough that we created an article about it. Check it out!
For a quick visual, compare the first two photos at the top of the page.
Comments are closed.