August 25th is National Banana Split Day, and here’s some food fun: Turn leftover hot dog buns into French Toast for a French Toast Banana Split.
Thanks to Tillamook County Creamery Association for the idea!
> The difference between buns and rolls.
This recipe works best with day-old or older buns.
The ingredients make 8 servings, but you can cut them down.
If you are preparing more than two rolls, consider scooping the ice cream into balls and keeping them in the freezer for quick assembly.
1. WHISK together in a large bowl the eggs, milk, and salt. Pour the mixture into a large pie plate for dipping. Set aside.
2. OPEN the hot dog buns and place them face down, spread flat—but do not break the halves apart.
3. SPRAY a large non-stick skillet with cooking spray (or coat the pan with butter, which will be hot enough when it foams). Place the pan over medium heat. Working with one roll at a time, dip both sides into the egg mixture to coat (the less fresh the roll, the slower it will absorb the mixture).
4. PLACE the roll into the pan, cut side down. Add as many rolls as your pan can hold. Cook until golden brown, then flip to cook the outside of the roll. Remove to a large plate, platter, or tray and repeat the process for the remainder of the rolls.
5. PLACE the open jar of sauce in the microwave and heat for 30-45 seconds.
6. ASSEMBLE: Place the hot dog roll on a plate or in a bowl. Add the ice cream and drizzle with sauce. Garnish as desired.
7. SERVE with a spoon (for the ice cream), fork, and knife (for the French Toast).
Comments are closed.