TIP OF THE DAY: Trim Your Cocktail Calories
Right after the new year, we were listening to the four principals on a top morning news show discuss what they would give up for a better new year. Not one could give up drinking!
Yet, everyone wanted to eat more healthfully.
An obvious choice is to avoid sweet, sugared cocktails in favor of savory ones: Bloody Mary, Martini, Scotch and Soda and the like. But some people insist on a sweet cocktail.
Mixologist Sam Fuerstman at Michael Jordan’s The Steak House N.Y.C. has crafted a few lower-calorie cocktails, including a “no-guilt Gimlet” and a “cheat-free Margarita.”
The recipes are below. Here are general tips for cutting cocktail calories:
RECIPE: NO-GUILT RASPBERRY VODKA GIMLET
This no-guilt gimlet has a double raspberry twist: raspberry purée plus raspberry-flavored vodka.
Ingredients Per Drink
1. PURÉE the raspberries in a food processor or blender. Taste; if you need more sweetness, add a bit of Splenda or agave.
2. COMBINE with the other ingredients. You can serve the drink on the rocks, or shake it with ice and strain into a stemmed cocktail glass.
RECIPE: NO-PANIC POMEGRANATE MARGARITA
Here, fresh fruit juice substitutes for the standard sugary Margarita mixes. Here’s how to make pomegranate juice from fresh pomegranates. You can also purchase pomegranate juice with no added sugar.
1. ZEST the lime before juicing it and blend with the salt in a shallow dish. Rub the rim of the glass with a slice of lime slice to make the salt mixture stick to it; then dip the glass rim into the salt and twist to coat.
2. SHAKE the other ingredients with ice, and then carefully pour into the glass, taking care not to dislodge any salt. Serve over ice.
RECIPE: SUGAR-FREE MINT GIN FIZZ
Sprite Zero substitutes for the simple syrup in a Gin Fizz.
1. MUDDLE the mint sprigs in a glass with the lime juice. Add the gin and top with Sprite Zero.
2. POUR over ice and garnished with a sprig of mint leaves.