Isn’t it wonderful when good-tasting food is good for you?
Take olive oil. Some cooking oils are relatively flavorless, but good olive oil has rich flavor (see the different flavor profiles).
As you’ve no doubt heard many times, olive oil is heart-healthy. Why do you hear that over and over again?
Because cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death in America. It takes more than 600,000 lives yearly, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The good news is that making small changes in your lifestyle and diet can add up to big results over time. So why not make the switch to heart-healthy olive oil?
Start by changing just two habits. The results will be just as delicious, if not more so.
Five Health Benefits Of Using Olive Oil
1. Anti-inflammatories. Along with having healthy properties that help reduce inflammation in the body, olive oil has heart-beneficial anti-clotting properties.
2. Antioxidants. Olive oil contains powerful antioxidants called polyphenols. The polyphenols slow the progression of atherosclerosis, hardening of the arteries, which occurs when fat, cholesterol and other substances build up in the walls of arteries and form plaque. More about antioxidants.
3. DHPEA-EDA. This is one of the most important polyphenols found in olive oil. Researchers have found that it protects red blood cells from damage.
4. Monounsaturated Fatty Acids. Olive oil is high in monounsaturated fatty acids, which helps to control a person’s LDL (bad) cholesterol, while helping to raise HDL (good, heart-healthy) cholesterol.
5. Secoiridoids. This category of polyphenols, found in olive oil, is being researched for its anti-cancer properties. It is believed to provide the digestive tract with some protection.
Additional research suggests that olive oil has beneficial properties for bone health, cognitive function, and anti-cancer benefits. Additional research is being conducted to discover additional ways that olive oil can be beneficial to our health.
So check the cupboard. If you haven’t used the olive oil in a while, give it a sniff. If musty, use it to condition your hair if you like, but pick up some fresh olive oil at your earliest convenience.
Comments are closed.