THE NIBBLE BLOG: Products, Recipes & Trends In Specialty Foods
Also visit our main website, TheNibble.com.
|If you like coconut and alcohol, pick up a bottle of coconut rum. You can use it to add a bit of coconut flavor to almost any recipe requiring a splash of spirits.
A regular Piña Colada requires coconut cream. But you can make a Piña Colada “Light” with just coconut rum and pineapple juice. You also save 195 calories worth of coconut cream.
- Regular Piña Colada: Add 3 ounces of light rum, 3 tablespoons of coconut cream and 3 tablespoons of crushed pineapple/pineapple chunks to a blender with crushed ice. Strain into a tall glass and serve with a straw and optional garnish (pineapple spear or orange wheel).
- Piña Colada Light: Add 3 ounces of coconut rum to a glass filled with ice. Top off with pineapple juice.
You can substitute coconut rum in cakes and other baked goods requiring brandy, rum, tequila, whiskey or liqueurs. Most recipes that don’t call for alcohol can benefit from a tablespoon or two.
Excellent coconut rum. Photo courtesy Bacardi.
- Cakes. Add to your favorite cake recipe and/or drizzle with rum syrup (recipe below).
- Cupcakes. Make adult cupcakes by adding to the batter or using rum syrup.
- Grilled Fruit. Sprinkle over grilled pineapple, bananas and other fruits while cooking.
This simple recipe works for any type of alcohol. It’s essentially a flavored simple syrup.
1. Bring 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water to a boil in a saucepan. Stir constantly until sugar is dissolved.
2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
3. Remove from heat; stir in 2 tablespoons rum. Cool to room temperature before using.
MEAT & SEAFOOD
Use coconut rum to deglaze the pan and make a sauce for pork, poultry and seafood.
We like Bacardi Coconut Rum. Some rums are flavored with extracts; Bacardi steeps real coconut in the rum to achieve true coconut flavor and aroma.
Comments are closed.
© Copyright 2005-2021 Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. All images are copyrighted to their respective owners.