Here’s a treat that you can make in any theme colors—just as long as the colors are available as flavored gelatins.
For a red, white and blue display, use JELL-O Berry Blue plus any of the red flavors (there are seven, from Raspberry to Watermelon).
You can use standard, pale yellow corn as your white layer, or look for white corn kernels to pop. The colored layers are sweet; the plain popcorn can provide a salty counterpoint.
Layer the colored popcorn in a clear bowl, or fill individual bowls.
Yield: about 16 cups
Ingredients Per Color
Color popcorn for any occasion—from fall colors above to red, white and blue. Photo
and recipe courtesy Eagle Brand.
1. HEAT the oven to 300°F. Line a large shallow roasting pan with heavy foil, extending the foil over the edges of pan. Butter the foil.
2. REMOVE all the unpopped popcorn kernels. Pour the popcorn into prepared pan. Keep warm in oven.
3. COMBINE the sweetened condensed milk and the dry gelatin in medium saucepan. Heat and stir over low heat until the mixture is slightly thickened and bubbly, 4 to 5 minutes.
4. POUR the mixture over the popcorn. Stir gently to coat, using a long-handled wooden spoon.
5. BAKE for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Carefully turn out onto another large piece of lightly buttered foil. Cool. Break into pieces or clusters.
6. REPEAT the process to create the second layer of colored popcorn.
7. LAYER the blue, white and red popcorn in a clear bowl.
Comments are closed.