Or, bake mac and cheese or scalloped potatoes in ramekins or parchment cups. We put our PaperChef Parchment Cups—Tulip Cups and Lotus Cups—to use. Beyond baking with ease, parchment cups are great for portion control with an attractive presentation.
Steer away from bringing a serving dish or pot to the table. Pre-fill parchment cups, ramekins or other small dishes with individual portions and bring them to the table, where everybody gets one. To avoid seconds, pack any extras from the recipes into portion-control cups and stick them into the freezer.
This recipe is by Matthew Kadey for PaperChef.com.
MINI MAC & CHEESE CUPS
1 cup (250 ml) whole-grain elbow pasta
1½ cups (375 ml) shredded cheddar cheese
½ cup plus 2 tablespoon (about 150mL) grated Parmesan cheese, divided
2 large eggs
¾ cup (180 ml) low-fat milk
? cup (80 ml) plain low-fat yogurt, preferably Greek-style
½ cup (125 ml) chopped sun-fried tomatoes
2 tablespoons (30 ml) chopped chives
¼ teaspoon (1.25 ml) cayenne pepper (optional)
¼ teaspoon (1.25 ml) ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon (15 ml) grainy or Dijon mustard
¼ teaspoon (1.25 ml)salt
¼ teaspoon (1.25 ml) black pepper
2 tablespoons (30 ml) unsalted butter
¾ cup (180 ml) panko (Japanese-style) bread crumbs
12 PaperChef Tulip Cups
1. COOK the macaroni according to the package instructions, until al dente.
2. PREHEAT the oven to 375°F.
3. DRAIN the pasta, return it to the pot and stir in the Cheddar cheese and ½ cup of the Parmesan cheese.
4. LIGHTY beat the eggs and stir in the milk and yogurt.
5. ADD the egg mixture to the pasta mixture along with the sun-dried tomatoes, chives, cayenne, nutmeg, mustard, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
6. DIVIDE the mixture among 12 parchment cups (this recipe used PaperChef Tulip Cups).
7. HEAT the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat.
8. STIR in the bread crumbs and cook until browned, stirring regularly.
9. STIR the remaining 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese into the toasted bread crumbs, sprinkle over the pasta mixture and bake until set, about 15 minutes.
10. COOL for 5 minutes before unmolding.