Who else but the folks at California Pizza Kitchen would create a Christmas Tree Pizza?
For fun this weekend, how about making this recipe for Christmas Tree Pizza, decorated with your favorite “ornaments.”
The recipe, from California Pizza Kitchen, makes 1 large pizza, 2 medium pizzas or individual pizzas
If you’re making individual pizzas, let the people decorate their own.
RECIPE: CHRISTMAS TREE PIZZA
1 pound traditional or whole wheat pizza dough
1/2 cup marinara sauce
6 ounces (2 cups) mozzarella cheese, grated
2 cups baby spinach leaves
2 cups baby arugula leaves
1 cup fresh basil leaves
1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Optional trimmings: sliced olive “ornaments,” anchovy “garland”
Deck the pizza with your favorite “trimmings.” Photo courtesy California Pizza Kitchen.
Optional garnish: carve a piece of yellow bell pepper into a star for the top of the tree
1. PLACE a seasoned (or oiled) pizza stone in the middle of the oven and preheat to 450°F for at least 30 minutes.
2. SHAPE the dough. If making more than 1 pizza, divide the dough into 2 or 4 pieces; then roll and shape each piece into a tall triangle. The pizzas will be decorated after baking, so prepare all of them at once.
3. SPREAD the sauce over the dough to within 1 inch of the outer edge. Top with the mozzarella and bake for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Meanwhile…
4. COMBINE the spinach, arugula and basil leaves in a large bowl. When the pizza is cooked, place on a serving plate and allow it to cool slightly. Then top with overlapping leaves of greens, making sure that the three different types are evenly distributed.
5. COVER the leaves with tomato halves, cut side down, add any other garnishes and sprinkle with Parmesan “snow” before serving.