RECIPE: CRANBERRY BAKED BRIE
1 large wheel of double crème Brie, 2.2 pounds
1/2 cup honey
1/4 pound dried cherries, cranberries or strawberries (or a mix)
1/2 cup sliced almonds plus extra for garnish
1 package of ready-to-bake crescent rolls (or make your own pastry)
Crackers or bread (or a combination)
Keep the Brie refrigerated and cold until ready to slice.
1. PREHEAT oven to 350°F.
2. CUT the Brie in half horizontally with a sharp knife, creating a top and a bottom.
3. SPRINKLE the cranberries, half the honey and half of the almonds in the center of the bottom half of the cheese, to within two inches of the edge. Cover with the top half and press down the edges. (When you press down, the fillings will spread close to the edge.)
4. OPEN the crescent roll container and prepare to wrap the Brie with the pastry. Lay the triangle crescent dough pieces on a work surface to form a sheet, overlapping the edges slightly. Press to bond together. Place the Brie in the center of the sheet and wrap the edges around the wheel until the entire surface is covered. Overlap and press the crescent dough close to the edges so that the Brie and fillings will not run out.
5. PLACE on a nonstick cookie sheet with a lip (just in case the cheese does run). Pour the remaining honey in the top center of the wrapped Brie and sprinkle with the remaining almond slices.
6. BAKE for 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly. Serve immediately.
As a cocktail party food, provide bread or crackers and a spreader.
For a dinner party salad/cheese course, give each guest a plated wedge with some dressed mesclun or frisée salad greens. Pass bread or crackers in a basket for those who want it.