8 ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup (packed) light brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup (packed) light brown sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder, sifted
2 tablespoons sugar
3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
1/2 cup cherry jam
1 tablespoon Fonseca Bin 27
For The Streusel & Jam:
1. PREPARE CRANBERRIES. Tie spices in a cheesecloth bundle and put in a small saucepan. Add honey, water and port. Simmer for 1 minute. Add cranberries; cook and stir until liquid evaporates. Discard spices. Cool cranberries.
2. MAKE COOKIE BASE. Mix flour, cinnamon, salt, ginger and black pepper together. Beat butter until creamy. Beat in both sugars. Add egg and vanilla and beat until smooth. Blend in flour mixture, then stir in the cranberries.
3. DIVIDE DOUGH into 2 disks. Wrap and chill 1 hour. Roll each disk between wax paper until dough is 1/4 inch thick. Freeze for 3 hrs.
4. PREHEAT the oven to 350°F with a rack centered in the oven.
5. MAKE THE STREUSEL. Mix all the flour, brown sugar, cocoa, sugar, cinnamon, salt and butter together in a large bowl. Rub everything together with your fingers until the streusel forms moist crumbs. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
6. STIR the cherry jam and port together. Place a 12-cup muffin tin on the work surface.
7. CUT out 2-inch rounds of dough. Drop a round of dough into each muffin cup. Put 1/2 teaspoon of jam in the center of each cookie and spread into a small circle. Top with streusel.
8. BAKE 14 to 15 minutes, until streusel sets and jam bubbles. Cool to room temperature before serving.
Makes about 30 cookies.
NO TIME TO BAKE? BUY ONLINE!
You can order Port Jammers on line, as well as Dorie’s other glorious cookie flavors: Chocolate Mint, Cranberry 5 Spice, Espresso Chip, Classic Sablés and World Peace Cookies, a recipe from famed French pastry chef Pierre Herme made with cocoa and chopped extra-bitter chocolate and fleur de sel.
The “Cocktail Collection,” savory cookies, includes Cocoa Cayenne, Rosemary Parmesan and Sesame Sea Salt.
Eight delicious cookies in a gift tube are $14.00 from BeurreEtSel.com.