Our mom made apple pie and brownies; but our favorite desserts for patriotic holiday weekends are red, white and blue.
We present three recipes with photos, plus another 18 links below. Recipes #2 and #3 can be pulled together in just 10 minutes.
RECIPE #1: JELL-O FIRECRACKERS OR SHOTS
To celebrate July 4th, Kraft Recipes has developed this fun snack and dessert.
You can make it for any special occasion (Chanukah, Christmas, St. Patrick’s Day, Thanksgiving…) by varying the colors.
And…you can turn the recipe into Jell-O shots by adding vodka or tequila.
Ingredients For 20 Pieces
To make the alcoholic shots, see Variation, below.
 and  Make fun Jell-O “firecrackers” for kids, or add vodka for Jell-O shots. Photos courtesy Kraft.
1. ADD 2/3 cup boiling water to the berry gelatin powder in small bowl; stir 2 minutes until completely dissolved. Repeat with the cherry gelatin powder. Allow to cool. Meanwhile…
2. SPRINKLE the unflavored gelatin over 1/4 cup milk in a medium bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Bring the remaining milk to a boil in a saucepan. Remove from the heat, stir in the sugar and vanilla, and add to plain gelatin mixture. Stir until the gelatin is completely dissolved. Cool for 10 minutes.
3. SPOON the berry gelatin into 20 (1-ounce) plastic shot glasses sprayed lightly with cooking spray, adding 2 teaspoons to each. Refrigerate for 15 minutes or until set but not firm.
4. TOP with the unflavored gelatin mixture, adding 2 teaspoons to each cup. Refrigerate for 10 minutes. Insert a cherry, stem end up, into the white gelatin layer. Refrigerate for 2 minutes.
5. COVER with the cherry gelatin, adding 2 teaspoons to each cup. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm. Remove from the cups before serving on a platter or individual plates.
Variation With Alcohol: Prepare as directed, reducing the boiling water to 1 cup and dissolving the berry and cherry gelatin mixes in 1/2 cup boiling water each. Stir 1/4 cup vodka into each flavor of gelatin, then continue as directed.
Infuse the maraschino cherries in a glass jar. Add 1/2 cup vodka and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Then drain, pat dry and use as directed. (Yes, you can drink the alcohol you’ve drained.)
Variation Without Maraschino Cherries: Substitute small strawberries or blackberries for the cherries.
It’s the same product. Gelatine is the British spelling and pronunciation (jell-a-TEEN in the U.K. versus jell-a-TIN in the U.S.).
If you’d like to celebrate with fruit, bring home some a watermelon, some blueberries and your choice of creamy topping: Cool Whip, vanilla yogurt, yogurt or sour cream (the latter two sweetened as desired).
Both recipes are super-quick and easy and low in calories.
Two super-easy, red-white-and-blue fruit desserts:  fruit cup and  star “cake” (photos courtesy National Watermelon Promotion Board).
RECIPE #2: RED, WHITE & BLUE FRUIT CUP
1. SCOOP watermelon balls into a glass serving bowl. Add the berries and sliced starfruit and toss with your hands to disperse. Cover with plastic and refrigerate until ready to use. To serve…
2. ADD the topping(s) or serve them on the side.
1. CUT a circle from the center of the melon, five inches thick or as desired.
2. REMOVE the rind and cut the fruit into a star shape. Cover in plastic and refrigerate until ready to serve.
3. ASSEMBLE: Frost the top and garnish with berries. As desired, pipe additional cream around the base, as shown in the photo.
MORE RED, WHITE & BLUE DESSERT RECIPES