Mother’s Day and Father’s Day were waffle days in our home, along with birthdays and other special occasions.
That’s when Mom would pull out the waffle iron and whisk together the flour, baking powder, butter, eggs and milk butter.
We ate them with a pat of butter and maple syrup brought back from Nana’s visits to see her family in Canada, and usually, with bananas or berries and bacon: basic comfort food.
In those days there were no chocolate or pumpkin waffles, no chili-infused maple syrup, no blueberry syrup, no cheddar waffles with jalapeños and tomatoes, no Caprese waffles with basil, cherry tomatoes and mozzarella cheese.
You can make waffles like these for Mother’s and Father’s Day: Check out ideas at the end of this article.
The two recipes that follow both top waffles with the focus ingredient: cheesecake or key lime mousse. They can be served as a sweet breakfast, or as dessert waffles.
Check out the different types of waffles.
RECIPE #1: CHEESECAKE WAFFLES
This recipe, by Dorothy Kern of Crazy For Crust, was sent to us by Krusteaz.
It uses a Belgian waffle mix. (Note: That’s Belgian, not Belgium, waffle. The former use is analogous to American waffles, the latter to America waffles.)
What’s the difference between Belgian waffles and regular waffles?
Most Belgian waffle mixes are yeast-based, which makes a lighter waffle with a crispier texture. A waffle batter that uses beaten egg whites to achieve lightness is an alternative.
There’s a difference in waffle irons, too. Belgian waffle grids have deeper pockets than American-style waffles. This provides more space to hold the syrup. But whatever waffle iron you have will work just fine.
3 cups Belgian waffle mix
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Maple or other syrup, for serving
Garnish: berries or other fresh fruit, mini chocolate chips or shaved chocolate
Prep time is 10 minutes, total time is 30 minutes.
Ingredients For 4-5 Waffles
 Cheesecake waffles.  Buttermilk pancake mix (photos courtesy Krustaz).  Cinnamon roll waffles: add some cinnamon to the batter and top with royal icing. Here’s the recipe from A Whisk And Two Wands.
1. BEAT the cream with a hand or a stand mixer until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
2. BEAT the cream cheese in a medium bowl until smooth. Beat in the sugar and vanilla extract. Fold the whipped cream into cream cheese mixture slowly, using a spatula.
3. PREPARE the waffle batter as directed on package, using 3 cups of waffle mix. Cook the waffles as directed.
4. SERVE topped with cheesecake mixture, garnished with berries or other fresh fruit. Serve the sauce on the side.
 Waffles with key lime mousse. We’d triple that scoop of mouse! (Photo courtesy Chef’s Choice.)  A size comparison of the larger Persian limes and Key limes (photo by Evan Dempsey | THE NIBBLE).  Graham cracker crumbs (photo courtesy Keebler).
RECIPE#2: KEY LIME MOUSSE WAFFLES
This recipe was sent to us by Chef’s Choice, which made them in their space-saving waffle maker, Chef’sChoice WafflePro M852, which makes two square waffles in three minutes or less.
You can make the mousse the day before.
Ingredients For The Key Lime Mousse
2 cups heavy whipping cream
10 ounces white chocolate
3/4 cup key lime juice
1 packet gelatin
7 ounces sweetened condensed milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
Dark brown sugar for garnish
Extra graham crackers for garnish
Key lime slices for garnish
3 cups Bisquick or similar pancake mix
1 cup whole milk
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
5 tablespoons buttermilk
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 stick of butter
1 package graham crackers (or graham cracker crumbs)
Garnish: lime zest or fruit of choice
Ingredients For 18-20 Graham Cracker Waffles
1. MAKE the mousse. Place the lime juice in a bowl and sprinkle in gelatin, stirring lightly. Let sit for 2 minutes.
2. HEAT the lime juice mixture over low heat until hot, but not boiling. Take the mixture off heat and set aside.
3. HEAT the sweetened condensed milk over medium heat and add the white chocolate. Stir until chocolate is melted.
4. WHIP the heavy cream on high speed only until stiff, about two minutes. Add the lime juice mixture to whip cream and beat with an electric mixer until the ingredients are blended together.
5. ADD the white chocolate mixture to the whipped cream and beat until blended. Refrigerate mixture for four hours or overnight to stiffen.
6. PREPARE the waffles. Mix together the pancake mix, milk, brown sugar, honey, buttermilk, eggs and cinnamon in a bowl. Melt the butter and add to the mixture. Crush the graham crackers to crumb size and add to the mix. Blend with an electric mixture.
7. PLACE 1/4 cup of batter on the prepared waffle maker (or per manufacturer’s maker’s directions). Bake for 2-1/2 minutes on setting 4. SERVE immediately with a dollop of key lime mousse. Garnish with lime slices and graham cracker pieces.
TOP SAVORY WAFFLES WITH:
Eggs: eggs and bacon, Eggs Benedict, sausage and eggs
Cheese: blue cheese, goat cheese, melted mozzarella or other melting cheese
Chicken: fried, pulled barbecue
Fish/seafood: caviar, seafood (crab, lobster, scallops, shrimp), smoked salmon and other smoked fish, with a fresh dill garnish
Pizza waffles: mozzarella, ricotta, marinara and favorite toppings (don’t forget the anchovies!)
Paté: garnished with cornichons, redcurrant jelly, fig jam or cherry preserves
Tex-Mex: avocado, black beans, black olives, corn, crema (sour cream), guacamole, red onion, salsa, shredded or crumbled cheese
Sandwich fixings: BLT, ham and cheese
Thanksgiving fixings: cranberry sauce, stuffing, sweet potatoes, turkey and gravy
Vegetable: asparagus with hollandaise sauce; mushrooms, spinach and Mornay sauce
Candy: brittle, toffee chips
Chocolate: chips, ice cream, syrup, shaved chocolate
Cream cheese: with chocolate chips, jam
Ice cream or frozen yogurt: with sundae toppings
Fall 1: raisins or other dried fruits, sautéed apples, maple syrup
Fall 2: pumpkin pie filling, whipped cream, caramelized nuts and nutmeg garnish
Fruit: fresh fruit, caramelized fruit, fruit butter, fruit chutney, fruit curd, marmalade or preserves with whipped cream
Fruit yogurt: with fresh fruit and fruit syrup or cinnamon syrup
Sweet spreads: nut butter, Nutella, with coconut or honey and whipped cream
TOP SWEET WAFFLES WITH: