August 10th is National S’mores Day.
A couple of weeks ago, we suggested a gourmet S’mores party with a buffet of everything S’mores, including fondue, fudge, grilled banana S’mores and ice cream—along with numerous other adaptation of the popular campfire cookie sandwich.
If you don’t want the whole spread, just invite people over for easy-to-make S’mores Truffles with a glass of sparkling wine (our wine suggestions are below).
RECIPE: S’MORES TRUFFLES
This recipe from chef David Venable of QVC is very easy to make. You can delegate the task to kids who like to cook.
1 can (14-ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1 tablespoon instant espresso coffee granules
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
14 ounces (2 cups) semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup graham cracker crumbs, divided
62–64 mini marshmallows*
1. POUR the condensed milk, instant coffee and vanilla into a 3-quart saucepan over low heat. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
2. ADD the chocolate chips and continue to stir until the chips are completely melted and the mixture is lukewarm, about 3–4 more minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat, add 2/3 cup graham cracker crumbs, and stir until fully incorporated.
3. POUR the mixture into a small shallow dish (8″ x 8″ baking pan or a 9″ round cake pan). Cover the dish with plastic wrap and let it sit at room temperature until the mixture has cooled completely, about 2–3 hours.
4. PLACE the remaining 1/3 cup of graham crumbs into another shallow dish. To form the truffles, scoop 1 tablespoon of the chocolate mixture and make a well in the center. Place the marshmallow in the well, pinch the tops closed (to enclose the marshmallow), and roll the chocolate in your hands until a uniform ball forms.
5. ROLL the ball into the graham cracker crumbs until completely coated. Repeat the same process to form each truffle.