HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY! HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!
These red, white and blue cupcakes are an eye- and palate-pleaser for any patriotic occasion.
And they’re easy to make, with just the added step of dividing cake mix into three bowls and coloring two of them. We chose a frosting of stabilized whipped cream, stiffened with gelatin (it won’t collapse) and topped the cupcakes with red, white and blue decorations.
RECIPE: PATRIOTIC CUPCAKES
Ingredients For The Cupcakes
1 box white cake mix (or your own white cake recipe)
Red and blue gel food coloring (see notes in the last section)
Decorative sprinkles or stars
2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
2 tablespoons cold water
2 cups heavy whipping cream, chilled
1/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
Ingredients For 4 Cups Stabilized Whipped Cream
1. PREPARE a cupcake pan with paper liners. Place the cream in the freezer for 20 minutes prior to whipping (it will whip better).
2. PREPARE the cake batter and divide it into three bowls. Use blue and red gel food coloring in two of the bowls (see notes about gel-paste below.)
3. ADD one tablespoon blue batter to the each cupcake liner and spread evenly (we used a plastic teaspoon). Follow with a tablespoon of white batter, and a red layer on top of that, taking care not to mix the colors as you spread them.
4. BAKE per cake recipe instructions and cool. While the cupcakes cool…
5. MAKE the stabilized whipped cream frosting. Place the cold water in a small pan and sprinkle the gelatin over it. Let it thicken; then place the pan over low heat, stirring constantly, just until the gelatin dissolves. Remove from the heat and cool, but do not allow it to set.
6. WHIP the cream with the powdered sugar, until slightly thick. While slowly beating, add the gelatin to whipping cream. Whip at high speed until stiff peaks form, about 5-7 minutes.
7. DECORATE and serve.